Funny thing happened during last week's search.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
This happened last week during our search for the A-hole in Fernan Lake.

We had two and sometimes three search patterns going at once with each having a 50% overlap.

Close to shore (50’ out on average) we were over the rocks and had roughly 5’ of visibility. The rest of the time visibility was flat out zero or better yet the absence of light.

During one of our overlaps I felt my search line signal me in some unknown language. I looked back at my line and saw Jamie, the only gal on the team, kicking my line, which had hitched a ride on one of her fin straps.

Thinking she knew what was going on, I reached up, grabbed her leg and removed the line.

She let out this blood-curdling scream I could hear very clearly. We both got a good laugh out of it on the bottom. Then back to our patterns.

When we got back topside she said she had a feeling that the guy was not in the water and had a mental picture of him watching us. She said she was deep into that thought when I grabbed her. Enough said.

She was diving dry so she didn’t feel the rope.

It was sure funny.

Gary D.

Gary,

That was a good and funny story. Obviously, you guys are lucky enough to have some visibility in "Death Trap Lake"--sorry, I mean Fernan Lake.

You should try the above in zero vis! A hand grabbing you in the black will really make your hair curl. I tell the troops I train to close their eyes while searching in the black. It heightens the sense of touch, and avoids the problem of the mind making up things for the eyes to "see"!!!

thats a great story. zero to low vis can play some funny mind games on you. the more sink dives i do, the more i increase my chances into running into something that someone else doesn't want found.

BigJetDriver69:
Gary,

That was a good and funny story. Obviously, you guys are lucky enough to have some visibility in "Death Trap Lake"--sorry, I mean Fernan Lake.

You should try the above in zero vis! A hand grabbing you in the black will really make your hair curl. I tell the troops I train to close their eyes while searching in the black. It heightens the sense of touch, and avoids the problem of the mind making up things for the eyes to "see"!!!
Thanks for the new name, I like it. That flippin little 400 acre, 25' deep lake has taken more life on it's own than the rest of the county combined. And it's tied for multiple death is a single accident.

We can have up to around 5' close to the surface but it is so black on the bottom you can't see the glow from a UK800R.

One of these days she will be getting even with me......

We do a training dive where we do a mask blackout and dump a coil of rope and line on top of you. You learn how to stay calm and get undone on your own. Ity's not anchored to anything but still gets you thinking.

Gary D.

I think I used to swim in that lake (Fernan Lake) and fish it seems to me I remember a windy road going around it , all the time by teenagers flying around it , is this the right one I am thinking about.

medic13:
I think I used to swim in that lake (Fernan Lake) and fish it seems to me I remember a windy road going around it , all the time by teenagers flying around it , is this the right one I am thinking about.

Yup, the 400 acre filthy death trap. They need to do something real soon to clean it up.

I'm just getting over the ear infection and the rash on my neck is clearing up.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=325&y=3299&z=11&w=1

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom