Funny Strobe Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an Oly 8080 and Ikelite 125 with TTL.

Stobe works perfect underwater, however at the surface or in the tub on the boat it begins to rapid fire. At first I thought I had a leak but the strobe is dry as a bone.

Pondering the problem, I think surface reflections of sunlight are seen by the TTL making it think that another strobe is going off.

Anyone noted a similar thing?

cudachaser:
I have an Oly 8080 and Ikelite 125 with TTL.

Stobe works perfect underwater, however at the surface or in the tub on the boat it begins to rapid fire. At first I thought I had a leak but the strobe is dry as a bone.

Pondering the problem, I think surface reflections of sunlight are seen by the TTL making it think that another strobe is going off.

Anyone noted a similar thing?
if using a remote sensor that maybe. happens to mine if I do not use sync cord....if using a sync cord the cord is shorting out when in the water..need a new cord then..

exactly it...
have seen many desperate photographers checking cable/connector leakages due to this.

If you have the Ike controller then this is normal. Happens to me all the time on the surface. You can also set it off by hitting it quickly with the beam of a dive light.

Interesting. I have had my strobes rapid fire three or four time after taking a shot at depth once in a while. Could this be the sync cord?

Well, I'm bringing back an old thread but I'm in Turks & Caicos and I've just experienced this...DS125 (w/ EV manual controller for Canon A620) strobe fired rapidly at 10' and well, now it will not power up. The modeling light does work however. This happened on a previous trip about 6 months ago but I did not observe any rapid firing and Ikelite relaced the computer board. I'll make the best of the next 5 days of diving but the strobe will be back on it's way to Ikelite when i get home...

Kinda...well, very...dissappointed, was to get my Nikon D80 wet the next day but a strobe sure would be great, maybe Ikelite can overnight :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom