Funny Ice rescue today :^)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We did an ICE RESCUE today and I laughed so hard I almost wizzed my britches.

I took my youngest grandson, who is a WEBELO, to the BSA Klondike Derby today. The kids pulled sleds they constructed and loaded with survival gear. Then they had to pull the sleds over a 3.5-mile course through the woods and get judged on their skills at each of 9 stations. The adults could only watch and not help the kids unless a judge asked us to.

With the shotgun start all the teams had to do the course up to 2 times. We were two stations shy of twice so the 5 little guys pulled the sled over 6 miles.

At the Medical Problems Station there were people that had fallen out of trees, cut them selves, had a heart attack and you guessed it, a kid through the ice in the water.

Now keep in mind that these kids are only 9 years old. At the Heart Attack station the got together and did CPR. They got 10 points out of 10 and did a great job.

The person falling out of the tree was a good one. The judge told the kids what had happened and asked the team what was wrong with the victim. One of the kids piped up with “He climbed the wrong tree, that’s what’s wrong”. I had to walk into the bushes and laugh my butt off while they splinted a broken leg.

Then we go to the ice rescue. The water was a blue tarp with a hole in the middle for the victim. The kids had to rescue and treat the victim. They had ropes, wood and help if they went and asked for it.

They get to the station and realize they have a victim in the water. The judge tells them they have to hurry and do something because the victim was cold and getting hypothermia.

One of the kids took off like a streak towards the sled. The team leader said, “He’s going for help”. About 2 minutes later he came running back and throws a bunch of packets to the victim. Everyone is stumped as to what he just did so the judge stops the rescue and asked about his actions.

The kid responds with “They’re hand warmers you said he was cold”. So I’m on my knees about ready to split a stitch when the judge says “Don’t you have to take them out of the package and shake them”. The kid, without so much as a blink says, “He’s shaking enough on his own so I didn’t need to”. I flippin lost it. He was serious.

They had stations to identify animal hides, Plant, trees, an obstacle course they had to take the sled over, fire building skill station and lots more. We were in the woods for 12 hours straight.

This reminds me of the Fire Starting station. The kids did a great job of setting everything up to start a fire with a Flint and Steel. BUT when it came time to light it, and with the judge standing right there, out came a match. The judge says something on the order of, everything we do out here we do the old fashion way. One of the little guys popped off with; “If we can’t use a match then you can’t use your radio”. They got 5 out of ten points for that one.

All in all they did great for first timers. Out of a possible 90 points they tallied up 67. We are super proud of the little guys. They need to work on their teamwork but next year they are going to kick some royal butt.

Gary D.

Great story of tenacious kids and dedicated (..and good humored..) adults. Well told, Gary. Thanks for making my evening!
Claudette

Sounds like a great time for everyone.

It also sounds like more than the kids learned something too. :D

Thanks for the great report.

That is a great Story Gary. He climbed the wrong tree, lol! Great way to get my day started with a laugh, thanks.

Matt

I should have written down the stories from when I was with the Scouts as an Adult Leader and judging events. Scouts in Florida have a Klondike Derby as well, only we pull sleds over sand. When a Patrol or Den doesn't have a sled, it is very interesting since you can make one on the spot. I've seen kids pulled on tarps that are usually tatters at the end, Palm branches, Pine branches, pieces of plywood, whatever, and the kid usually has about 10 lbs of sand in his pants, if he has any bottoms at all on his pants when they are done.

Great story Gary. If you continue to go to Scouting events with your grandson, you will have loads of fun. If you intend to do that, you may think about becoming an Adult Leader.

I'm probably dating myself, but I believe it was Arl Linkletter who said "Kids say the darndest things!"

Good story Gary and great to see your involvement with the grandson. However, as the story was building, I was expecting "him" to call the Sheriff's department for rescue.

Dan

Gary that's hillarious. Thanks for sharing.

Good story Gary. Something to laugh about on these cold, wintery days. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom