Fundies Pass Rate and Swimming Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most "normal" people get a provisional pass when they take the class. The skills and techniques presented are very different from what you learn in regular dive certification. They do have a complete openwater class now that should keep people from learning bad habits to begin with.

Pass or provisional makes no difference once you get past the initial shock of not passing and you realize and utilize the safety skills and swimming techniques.
Bottom line is you are going to learn somthing very cool and very beneficial to your safety.

We joked before our class, "Egos taken into the water will be confiscated and destroyed." Most people find the standards for buoyancy and situational awareness that are required in this class to be difficult to meet. Not many people sail through to a pass on the first go-round . . . GUE has a very different attitude about this. But if you go into it realizing that, for many of us, it's a three part experience (take the class to get introduced to the skills and standards, spend some time practicing, then get reevaluated), then it doesn't come as a rude shock when that's how it plays out.

I don't think, with the number of dives you have, there is anything you could do before taking Fundies to ensure a pass -- nor do I think trying to do so is particularly useful. But you CAN do something to ensure you pass the swim test. I swam regularly, and practiced the breath-hold swim, for a month before the class. In retrospect, it would also have been useful to have had one or two sessions with a swim coach, but I passed anyway.

Good luck, and have fun. It really is a great class, and I have become a much better diver for having taken it.

About the physical tests . . . try to allow as much time between the swimming test and breath-hold test as possible. Several of the people in my class were at least slightly winded after the distance swim, making it more difficult to hold their breath.

When I took Fundies, I was similiar to you and had about 40 dives under my belt (12 of them were cert dives). I practiced trim and (task-loaded) bouyancy before class, and noticed that it really helped. No one passed during my class (most got provisional), and my instructor told me I had to polish a few things. I spent the next 3 months and 40 dives working on Fundies skills, got re-evaluated, and passed. (Having an excellent training buddy helps too!)

There are many things that a GUE instructor evaluates, other than just "water-skills." Some of them are not explicitely definied in the "official" standards.:mischief:

Mike

Tanked Monkey:
About the physical tests . . . try to allow as much time between the swimming test and breath-hold test as possible. Several of the people in my class were at least slightly winded after the distance swim, making it more difficult to hold their breath.
Thats why I recommended that we do the swim test after the breath hold swim for our fundies :wink:

Agreed, unless the instructor has his/her own agenda (like mine did). :evil: Mine was also one of the instructors who's standards were 15%-20% higher than what was listed on GUE's website. Made me a better diver, tho.

Mike

In our class, we did the breath hold first, then the swimming portion. I did neither. I will take Fundies again "for real" sometime this fall or next spring. Probably will get a provisional, and work from there.

Boy, we ASKED to do the breath hold first, but had to do the swim. Still made it, if by the skin of my teeth.

TSandM:
Boy, we ASKED to do the breath hold first, but had to do the swim. Still made it, if by the skin of my teeth.

I know what you mean. I am off to the pool to practice my u/water part tonight. The distance I can do in about 1/2 the required time. The breath-hold is harder for me. Sometimes I get 75 feet, but sometimes just 40-50.

Of course, the swim test is just going to be the beginning of my woes!

In my scuba courses at NCSU we do u/w swims the full length of the 25-yard (75ft) pool quite frequently, but we are allowed a push-off to begin with. Is this how DIRF does it, or do they want you to swim the whole way (ie--no push-off)?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom