Fundies Pass Rate and Swimming Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
Is there a pass/fail system for DIR-Fundementals? If so, why would someone fail and what happens once that persaon fails (i.e. are they able to take the class again for free or what)? How often do people fail the class? Also, I noticed that there are swimmining pre-requisites for the class. I'm not so worried about the swimming part but I am concerned about the breath hold requirement. Holding my breath is something I never practice and I know I had a somewhat hard time doing it for my NAUI certification. I'm in much better shape now than I was then but since I never practice holding my breath I wonder how easily I'll be able to do it. Are they pretty strict on being able to do this before taking the class or will they let me do the class even if I can't do the breath hold?

These are all things that should be discussed with your instructor. Failure is something that is usually a result of a lack of skill for the class. More often than not most recieve a "provisional" pass meaning that they need to come back and be retested at a later date not usually longer than 6 months.

gr8ful divr:
Is there a pass/fail system for DIR-Fundementals?
Yes Pass/Provisional Pass/Fail

Pass=You can continue with GUE training.
Provisional=You have a few issues that require some practice.
Fail=You really suck :wink:

gr8ful divr:
If so, why would someone fail and what happens once that persaon fails (i.e. are they able to take the class again for free or what)?
If you get a provisional pass, you will have to make arrangements to do a check out dive with an instructor within 6mths. (might be a yr). You may have to pay the instructor, but most seem to do it for free. (especially if you do it to fit their schedule)

gr8ful divr:
How often do people fail the class?
Fail's are not very common. Provisionals are very common.

gr8ful divr:
Are they pretty strict on being able to do this before taking the class or will they let me do the class even if I can't do the breath hold?
You don't have to be able to do it to take the class, but you will have to be able to do it to pass. But its not that hard. I suck as a swimmer and I passed both requirements.

Well, right now there is a Pass/Provisional/Fail system. From what I hear, and from my instructor, most people get a provisional and it is because of skills (bouancy control, trim, etc.). My Fundies instructor said that he has only had to fail one person so far, because they were just too unsafe. I would pratice the breath hold several times, and make sure you can do it before taking the class. Some instructors will still let you sit-in on the classroom portion, even if you fail the swim tests, but why not go prepared? Also, have you talked to the DIR-Atlanta group? I'm sure they would have some good advice to share with you.

I believe the swim is only 50 feet, a week's worth of practice sessions should have you doing that easily. A lot of the breath-hold is technique. We have our OW students take 3 deep breaths, each one followed by a complete exhale. They inhale the 4th time and hold it when they submerge for their swim. When you feel the urge to breathe exhale just a little bit, the CO2 drop will buy you a little more time. Keep swimming, the second time you feel the need to breathe look toward your goal (it will be close) exhale as you finish swimming to it. If the OW students can get 75 feet with this method you should be able to easily get 50.
Don't let this one skill keep you from taking the class.
Ber :lilbunny:

DIR-F is in a state of change right now. Your best bet is to read through this thread to learn about it.

The swim requirements are listed on the GUE.com, so just go to a pool and practice until you can do them. How strictly they are enforced probably depends on the particular intructor and the conditions. For example, I did mine in open water with waves and the distances were just estimates (swimming to a given boat buoy and back several times). I've even read about people having to do it in their drysuits because sometimes you just don't have a pool available.

I don't know the failure rate, but people who acquire a DIR-compliant rig, dive enough in it to get used to it, and practice some DIR-F skills probably pass the first time. If you can do the kicks (including the backwards kick), reach your valves, and do the valve and safety drills without losing your buoyancy or moving around, then you should be in very good shape, but that type of preparation is probably not possible for most people, nor necessry to pass the first time.

if you just practice the breath hold swimming in a pool a bit, you should be able to hit at least 60 feet every time.

one thing that i found is that kicking engages your big leg muscles and doesn't provide much propulsion so i don't kick too hard, and smooth pull and glides with the arms helps to get more distance... also, it helps to get down 4+ feet right at the beginning so that you don't pop up to the surface or have to fight popping...

i've been swimming consistantly now for 5 or 6 months and my best time so far on 300yds was last week when i did it in 7m10s, i started out around 12m30s which should give you some idea of the improvement you can get with consistent practice (and i'm not built for swimming at all -- large body, small arms+legs...).

Failure was explained to me like this:
A) Fail because you are an unsafe diver
B) Fail because it will take you longer than 6 months to be able to perform the skill to standard.

As was mentioned in the previous posts, failure is uncommon. Try your best, don't quit, and have a good attitude and you'll do fine.

Great answers so far. Only one thing to add.

GUE outlines for its instructors what the minimum standard is for funamentals and other classes; however, instructors can decide to raise that bar for their students. Talk with your instructor of choice about this before class starts, and IMHO each class should include a pow-wow within the first few hours where the exact standards being used to measure the class are discussed and defined.

ie. the standards say "proficient lift bag deployment"... define what the class' meaning of proficient is
and "good buoyancy" defined to a specific number of feet students should be able to stay within during a stop etc

mer:
...and IMHO each class should include a pow-wow within the first few hours where the exact standards being used to measure the class are discussed and defined.
I don't think that GUE classes are about pass or fail and there's no need to bother yourself with measures. This will turn your focus in wrong direction.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom