Fundies Food & Money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
1) What are the best foods & drinks to bring to the fundies class? (This very important question is not covered in the DIR book, or on the GUE web site.) Is it just snacks? Or breakfast, lunch, dinner? What snacks are DIR? Should I find out what my instructor's favorite snack is, and bring some as a way of sucking up??

2) Besides hotel, meals, gas (both in the car and the scuba tank), what other expenses can I expect to incur during the class? How much extra cash should I bring? Should I leave every method of spending (debit card, credit card, checkbook) at home to protect my budget from a possible crisis? Or should I just hand a blank check over to 5TH D when I arrive? Or, will there really be no unexpected expenses?

There are always unexpected expenses. Like Halcyon stuff you discover you can't live without. Etc.

Bring plastic. :D

What would life be without budget crisis? It becomes the norm...

You will eat while doing other things. The class does not break for meals. So...poor date foods such as spaghetti, shellfish, and anything they tie a bib around your neck when they serve should be avoided. You will be enduring humilation watching yourself turn into a cluster on camera. Avoid foods such as jello, popsicles, or anything frozen that make you look even more foolish when you consume them. Anything that will emerge from your nose while laughing should also be left home.

Anything you want to drink or eat should be procured in advance and brought in a cooler. Otherwise, you'll miss stuff - especially stuff people say about you - while you're running out to buy food, etc. Everyone else will be sitting there listening to the instructor and talking about you behind your back while you're doing a taco run.

I found that jerky worked well, its tough to screw up jerky. Other faves were beer nuts, pretzels, fresh fruit, carrot sticks (or cut up veggies), and anything from Subway. Which, if you're going to Fifth D Issaquah, is available pretty close by!

Have fun :D

Doc

only the proper dive foods should be utilized, twinkies, cup cakes and cookies the norm

Come on, this is SEATTLE! No Cheetos, no Twinkies . . . beef jerky maybe, if it's organic . . .

The Seattle way would be to hit Whole Foods on the way to Issaquah, fill your basket with three kinds of bottled water, several imported cheeses, a loaf or two of Grand Central Bakery bread, organic grapes, and a bunch of Scharffenberger chocolate.

I recognize that, as I am yet untrained, this is not a DIR answer and may therefore get pulled (see Diver0001's thread). But it's the best answer I have :)

BTW, I think the people who keep trying to convince me that DIR divers are intense, humorless, concrete dogmatists should read some of Rick's threads.

California Diver:
only the proper dive foods should be utilized, twinkies, cup cakes and cookies the norm

Twinkies -- you said the magick word to get me in this thread!!! Now just add some hot chocolate for dipping them in and we are cooking!!!

*sorry for the hijack!*

Now for the topic --

Ready to eat foods would be best I would think -- jerky should like a winner maybe some good power bar kinda things - stuff in the cooler -- I personally can't live without my Red Bull

Kimber

Water is always a fine choice. Avoid carbonated drinks.

Sandwiches are great… ham and cheese for me.

On the boat I like a bit of apple. Your Instructor will give you the word on food.

Just enjoy and be sure to make good contacts with the other students.

I took a cooler and loaded it up. I went to costco and got stuff like already cooked, refrigerated chicken strips used for fajitas. That made a great, quick bite to eat when I needed it. I bought a bunch of apples for the same reason (easy). If you are a caffeine addict, take lots. Assume 17 hours days with little time for you or a food run. After class, I was working on my gear at night to fix this or that, or laying on my bed doing finning practice :)

I was lucky enough to get a handicap room and that had a fridge and microwave in it (I have no idea why the other rooms did not, but...).

I took a case of water, but I am a water junky. Easy to eat, quick food is the best. Already made sandwiches are great.

Have fun, I did.

Chris

Who is your instructor? If it's Joe - he really liked the Kona Coffee served at our DIR-F ... of course the coffee berries were picked off trees from the yard, roasted, ground and brewed on location...

Have a great time!

Aloha, Tim

Rick Inman:
2) Besides hotel, meals, gas (both in the car and the scuba tank), what other expenses can I expect to incur during the class?
Hotel?

Rick ... contact me ... I can save ya some money on lodging (I have a spare bedroom) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom