Question Fun Azul Valentina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
area51tazz

area51tazz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
G'day! We're off to Socorro in 3wks and were wondering if anyone knew of the water and air temps in the area. They suggest 5mm suits, but the general temps there don't suggest needing it. They also suggest warm clothes for evenings on deck... but how warm :p
Also, any general feedback of Fun Azul fleet would be great. I can't seem to find many photos from guests, only the marketing ones.
Cheers!

I was there in Thanksgiving week of 2020 and the water temps were 83 degrees. I went from a 5-mil to a 3-mil to a skin. A light jacket for evenings on the top deck was enough for me. Have fun!

That's great news! I figured tropical waters, even below the colder western currents, would still be fine.
Cheers!
(still down for anyone else's take)

It really depends on your tolerance for cold. Water temps here in Cabo Pulmo were 28 C at the beginning of last week, but are now down to 26 C. When we dove Cabo Pulmo as well as Socorro three years ago in March, water temps were similar in both places. I wore a 3 mil shorty this past week and the same in Socorro three years ago, with a thin rash guard.

I've decided to go with a 2.5mm Waterproof full, and take a lavacore to go under if I get cold. My buddy is taking a 5mm because that's what she ordered while she was in-town.

I'll be doing a trip report when I get back.

I was in Socorro the first week in December 2020 and water temp was 81 degrees F at almost every site. Yes you are going to run into a few thermoclines but they are usually brief. I dived in just a full 3mm suit. Some folks were diving in 3mm shorties. I never felt cold on any of my dives. As for the evenings last December I wore t-shirts all the time. But weather can change--a light fleece or sweatshirt should serve you fine if needed. As for the Valentina--I was orginally scheduled for my trip on that boat--five days before we were to leave I was notified they had engine problems and would need to cancel. Liveaboard.com asked if I would like to transfer my trip to the Aggressor boat leaving the same day but I'd need to be transported to the boat by banca because the Aggressor left port before my flight arrived. The owner of the Valentina met me at the airport--transported me to the port in Cabo and took me by banca out to the Aggressor--that's another story. Fun Azul also paid for my nitrox on the Aggressor and for a night in a hotel when we returned since the Aggressor trip was a day shorter--Fun Azul took care of me--cudos to them.

I was in Socorro the first week in December 2020 and water temp was 81 degrees F at almost every site. Yes you are going to run into a few thermoclines but they are usually brief. I dived in just a full 3mm suit. Some folks were diving in 3mm shorties. I never felt cold on any of my dives. As for the evenings last December I wore t-shirts all the time. But weather can change--a light fleece or sweatshirt should serve you fine if needed. As for the Valentina--I was orginally scheduled for my trip on that boat--five days before we were to leave I was notified they had engine problems and would need to cancel. Liveaboard.com asked if I would like to transfer my trip to the Aggressor boat leaving the same day but I'd need to be transported to the boat by banca because the Aggressor left port before my flight arrived. The owner of the Valentina met me at the airport--transported me to the port in Cabo and took me by banca out to the Aggressor--that's another story. Fun Azul also paid for my nitrox on the Aggressor and for a night in a hotel when we returned since the Aggressor trip was a day shorter--Fun Azul took care of me--cudos to them.
It's good to hear that the service might actually make up for some of the issues we've already had. Thank you for the quick, but detailed summary :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom