Full-time AutoFocus on 5060WZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrustyTheClownFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having trouble getting crisp focus on fish shots in open water (like the one attached). This guy was not even moving and my shutter speed was pretty fast (1/60) but very poor focus results. My results are better when there is a wreck or the bottom in the background - its the open water shots that seem to be the problem.

I was thinking of trying the SPOT focus mode (instead of iESP) and also of the full-time autofocus, but maybe the latter will be really bad on my battery life. Does anybody have experience with this kind of problem? (Other than getting closer :wink: )

Bump up that shutter speed...1/60 is considered slow. Start with at least 1/125 underwater, you can adjust up or down from there.

Fulltime autofocus never accomplished more than draining my batteries! I use auto focus, not FULLTIME auto focus, and the half-press shutter thing to focus the camera.

I agree with Dee. The full time AF is harder on the internal mechanics of the camera as well as a battery drainer.

Thanks Dee and Gilligan, I will try to increase the shutter speed and hope for a good sunny day (our waters are so dark around here).

Cheers...

I agree with Dee on the half shutter depress to allow the camera to focus before you fire the shutter. You'll know that the camera has focused when the little green light in the top left of the screen comes on.

This is also handy in allowing you check in the screen to see if the camera actually got the focus right to begin with. In super-macro mode for instance it doesn't always get it quite right even though the focus locks and you may have to adjust the distance and try again before you get a clear shot.

Also, as regards full time auto focus, another reason to avoid it is that it causes the camera to take more time about focusing the shot and your subject may be well on its way before the shutter fires.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom