Full Foot vs. Open Heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asp9208

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've noticed many people recommend open heel fins for scuba diving and I just wondered why? I am a newbie and have only worn full foot fins but I will be purchasing some personal gear soon (fins, snorkel etc..) and wanted some opinions. They will be used in south florida and eventualy in north florida, the springs, and also some snorkeling. I'm not really asking about brands I just want to know full vs. open heel and maybe some info on split fins.

I think the open heel is more versatile for many divers. Open heel can be for both warm and cold water diving.

Also, open heel are much easier to use if you go shore diving (walk into the surf with boots, then donning fins) and on boat dives. Technically, I suppose you could do the same with full foot, but I'd rather not walk around barefoot on boats or entering surf; I like my toes and feet!

dlndavid:
I think the open heel is more versatile for many divers. Open heel can be for both warm and cold water diving.

It allows divers to switch boots (that suits the type of diving he/she is doing) and not having to switch fins...........(though some might find it not possible for fins like SP JETs).

Some also appreciates open heel's effectiveness underwater over fullfoot. Someone might help justify this statement or disagree with it for me since the only time I dove with a fullfoot was during my openwater certify dives.

As mentioned it allows for exposure protection on your feet which tend to be a first place to chill. Many dive sites are not bare-foot friendly so it becomes a matter of safety and comfort. If you have much of a hike to a shore dive it gets very important.

An open heel fin also provides easier holding or clipping off when making shore dives entries and exits in surf conditions.

Consider spring straps while you're at it.

I use the same booties and fins for skin-diving even in swim suit conditions.

Pete

asp9208:
I've noticed many people recommend open heel fins for scuba diving and I just wondered why? I am a newbie and have only worn full foot fins but I will be purchasing some personal gear soon (fins, snorkel etc..) and wanted some opinions. They will be used in south florida and eventualy in north florida, the springs, and also some snorkeling. I'm not really asking about brands I just want to know full vs. open heel and maybe some info on split fins.

Open heel where you have to wear booties. It you only dive off a boat in warmish water and don't need specialized open heel fins, the full foots are ok. Saves time gearing up too.

my first set of fins were full foot. i quickly found out that their biggest
dissadvantage was that since i didn't have booties, i would have to walk barefoot
to the divesites when shore diving.

not an enormous inconvenience, but enough of one to get me to buy open heeled
fins and booties. besides, the fins i got to begin with were snorkeling fins and
not stiff enough to work well for scuba purposes

I have full foot fins and have used them on boats, shore dives, and in springs. The only problem I've had is my feet getting cold in the springs during winter dives. I bought a pair of bootie socks (no thick bottom) and use them inside the full foot fin when in the cold water. There have been rare times I wish I had regular booties for walking on land, but never had any problems in the water with the set up I have.

asp9208:

in no particular order

full foot advantages:
- lighter and pack smaller (travel)
- don't require boots (weight, convenience; neoprene socks recommended though)
- more efficient, see for instance http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins-synopsis.html
- more comfortable (matter of pers. pref.)
- cheaper

open heel advantages:
- allow for neoprene or dry suit boots where required (cold water, shore diving w/ rocks, long walk-in, ...)
- maybe easier to don/doff (depends on type of straps)

Bottom line:
Open heals are more universal as you can always wear boots, but in certain cases can't go without. Since good full footers are inexpensive and have distinct advantages for certain types of diving like tropical boat diving or travel, I own both.

d-s-f

Back
Top Bottom