FULL FACE MASKS, how is equalization done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was curious, when you see the divers on TV wearing full face masks, how do they equalize since they are not able to pinch their noses and blow as with a regular scuba mask?
THANKS!

Depends on the mask, but most of them have something with an external lever/handle/knob/stick that the user can manuver, this external device pushes a soft foam (or other material) into the nose. It works the same as pinching your nose without using your fingers. This is the same for hard hats, the Mark V just have a nice smooth area to one side where you just move your head to it.

The AGA mask which you often see on TV (with the yellow frame) has a V shaped rubber block that sits right under the nose. When you equilize all you have to do is gently push up on the bottom of the mask to occlude the nose. Actually much more comfortable than pinching your nose, now my nose doesn't hurt after a day of several dives.

I just wiggle my jaw left to right most of the time in my AGA and my Guardian.

Back
Top Bottom