Full Face Masks and Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradymsu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For Mario and all,

Most of my diving is done in the Great Lakes. To be protected from the cold as much as possible, I'm considering buying a full face mask such as the AGA. My issue is that the majority of my future diving will be done on deeper wrecks using deco gas along with doubles with two regulators and possible stage bottles.

I know it is possible to place the two second stages from the doubles in the AGA. But are both second stages working at the same time? This seems like it may compromise redundancy if you can't shut down/open the second reg easily on the mask. My second question is how easy is it to remove a reg and replace it with one from a deco bottle or stage bottle that is using a different gas mixture?

In short, can the AGA be used in diving with different gas mixtures or is it too dangerous or inconvenient? It would be very helpful to have the extra thermal comfort on the longer, deeper and colder dives. No hood, wet or dry seems to provide what I'm looking for as a substitute.

NOTE: I realize it is most likely not DIR to use a full face mask, so it would be helpful not to raise that issue again.

There are many different possibilities for configuring your gear. I played with a Sartek Industries RSV-1 Redundant Supply Valve on my AGA FFM yesterday and loved how easy it was to switch from my primary air supply to my pony. Since the mask, nor reg has to leave your face. You just reach up, remove the safety clip and press the unit up and it switches to your backup.

I haven't however used the system with exotic mixes yet... but I'm sure someone like DeepSea or RainReg can provide some input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom