full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bottom dwell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, especially hull cleaners. I am a hull cleaner in miami and looking for advice on full face mask like cressi or ist because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. I want to put my standard reg. into mask. I use an electric compressor for air. Any advise on what mask to buy and what modifications do I need to make to regulator-to make it fit to these masks.

The reason I am considering a full face mask is that I have recently gotten sick (vomited) in the water from cleaning boats that just had been painted. Not sure if it's from the paint or just the fact that I work very fast upside down and change directions frequently along with fighting the current. It be my system was sensitive that day and could just be inner ear (sea sick) circumstance.

I want to protect myself from exposure to the paint by using inexpensive full face mask.

Thank you divers

You want the IST FFM. Be sure to get the black silicone model. It can also be found in black rubber and looks identical but is inferior. No modifications needed. You will need to remove the mouth piece from your 2nd stage. reg. Expect to pay $120-$140.

BTW- it is unlikely that you are getting sick from exposure to anti fouling paint. Consider that boatyard workers apply the stuff all day long without problems. Whatever is going on, if you are removing enough paint to be concerned about contact, you are using the wrong cleaning tool.

Last edited:
FastBottoms thanks for the reply and advise. I will buy what you mentioned. Concerning tools-I use 3m or scotchbrite pads (green and red). I also use utlility brushes (medium bristles) and regular medium bristle brushes. I also have the standard metal scrappers for the metal running gear.

Any suggestions and or care to tell me what tools you use?

Thanks again

BTW- it is unlikely that you are getting sick from exposure to anti fouling paint. Consider that boatyard workers apply the stuff all day long without problems. Whatever is going on, if you are removing enough paint to be concerned about contact, you are using the wrong cleaning tool.

WHAT???? Unlikely - really.

I wear a full Tyvek suit and wear a respirator to paint and clean my bottom - and anyone (with half a brain) at a marina working on boats does the same. Have you ever looked at the toxic ingredients in some bottom paints????????? Some have been pulled from the market in some areas - and others are considered dangerous.

I woul dbe concerned about contact with some brands and since you dont know what is on the boat most of the time you are cleaning them - I would assume the worst.

Not sure what your point is but I will say this- nobody is more aware of what ingredients are in anti fouling paint than I am. Copper or zinc-based paints are classified as pesticides and absolutely care needs to be taken when dealing with them. But hull cleaners are pretty well protected (working in a wetsuit or drysuit and surrounded by water) and don't have the same exposure that those applying it do. So I'm saying it's unlikely that an acute reaction (as described by the OP) is unlikely. But if the OP is concerned that he is having a lot of contact, it is likely that he is taking too much paint off while performing in-water cleanings

Back
Top Bottom