Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwaysfishing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For those who have used one. Are they good? Does it keep you from having to constantly clear your ears?
I am thinking about getting one.
Which brands are good and which ones should i stay away from?

Thanks
Jerry

A Full face mask does not make it so that you do not have to "clear your ears". You will still have to equalize in the same way. I have used the Ocean Reef Space Predator and the OTS Guardian FFMs, they both have a mechanism to aid in equalizing. Personally, I like the OTS equalizing system better. They both have pros and cons but I ultimately like the OTS Guardian better and own a pair of them. There are other brands out there...AGA, Kirby Morgan....OTS is the way to go in my opinion.

Pros:
Comfortable
Do not leak at all
Do not fog at all
Can be used with with Comm systems
Keep your face warm in cold water

Cons:
Expensive (shop around and you can find a pair with comms for between $1800 and $2200 new depending on what brand and where you purchase from)
Comms only work if someone else has the system too
If you have a problem with the mask or your reg while diving the solution is to bail out of the mask entirely so you should carry a small mask in your pocket

Your first question - Ear equalization and sinus clearing doesn't change, Most FFM you just push and the nasal blocks as you blow is a little easier than squeezing your nose.

Having utilized the AGA MK ll- excellent mask Positive pressure does require a little extra on the breathing side.

Scubapro FFM- You can use your own regulator a little harder to equalize as the nasal cavity is hard to get to with gloves or 3 fingers on, & no surface air valve.

Currently I switched to the Ocean Reef Space- has adjustable 2nd stage easy breather, and like the AGA very comfortable.

OTS has a model similar to the AGA better face seal, I personally have not used one but several folks I dive with have it all say the same thing a harder breather than the SPACE but like it.

Finally if you step up to get communication OTS makes units to fit all of the above.

In closing the only thing I would add is that with a full face mask air consumption will increase slightly about .20 cu ft/mn for me when I use FFM instead of my MK25-G250V set up.

The extra bouyancy of a FFM is negligable at best and hardly noticed.

If you do go to a FFM please get the extra training which is minimal but there are things to learn that will make it more comfortable and some inherent differences than the standard reg set up.

Hope this helps & Enjoy

My ears aren't on my face, so the full-face mask doesn't prevent me having to equalise them :wink:

Joking aside... it doesn't prevent the need to equalise. The only thing that achieve that would be a sealed helmet that operated at 1 atm (surface pressure).

FFM are a solution to specific problems. They provide the option of communications and have advantages for diving in very cold or very polluted environments. Other than that, they'd just be decorative "Oh, look at me!"

My ears aren't on my face, so the full-face mask doesn't prevent me having to equalise them :wink:

Joking aside... it doesn't prevent the need to equalise. The only thing that achieve that would be a sealed helmet that operated at 1 atm (surface pressure).

FFM are a solution to specific problems. They provide the option of communications and have advantages for diving in very cold or very at polluted environments. Other than that, they'd just be decorative "Oh, look at me!"

Although not equalization would be needed, if the helmet was at 1atm and your body at 3-4atm due to depth, I believe you would be dead and a good part of your body sucked up into the helmet.:wink:

No, a full face mask (FFM) does not change the fact that you have to equilize your ears and sinus cavities. The full face window type FFMs have to have a device to allow you to block your nose to do so. That would be the AGA, OTS and Ocean Reef Space. Other masks like the Scupa Pro, Kirby Morgan and the old Cressi have a soft nose pocket that you can squeeze your nose in just like a standard scuba mask.

As far as masks to stay away from, I don't particularly like the design of the Cressi or the ScuaPro masks. Thay seem too much like modified WWII gas masks.

Pros and Cons of different masks:

In general a FFM offers more warmth because your face is protected from conduction by the water.
It is less likely that one would died of drownding in a FFM, you will just sufficate, but you can be revived on the surface and not have the after effects caused by drownding.
If you have a caterpiller under your nose, like me, they offer a leak tight seal around the face, where a standard scuba mask might leak a lot (that is one of the reasons I dive FFM).
Most FFM offer the option of adding and using voice communications (for a price).

OTS, AGA, Ocen Reef masks:
You can breath ambient air on the surface if you get one with the special valve on the face plate that opens to the outside air.
They are design to be self de-fogging by how to air blows in to the mask.
These designs tend to fit smaller faces.
Most people must have the nose block device installed and adjusted to fit them, and it has to be readjusted if someone else uses the mask. I have never found the little neoprene blocks to work for me as a nose block.

You have to use the regulator that they come with.
You should carry a spare scuba mask in case you have to switch to your secondary air source.
You have to remove the mask to talk clearly on the surface.
They can cause you air consumption rate to increase.
Due to the design they have more dead space that excess Carbon Dioxide can build up in.
You can't switch gas mixes without using some sort of plumbing and valve system.

Cressi and Scuba Pro masks:
They are the least expensive.
You can probably use your own regulator that you currently have.

The lenses have to be de-fogged like a standard scuba mask.
They are not very robust, look like a modified gas mask.
Have the largest dead space of any of the FFM on the market.
No oral nasal in mask means air consumption is probably the highest.
Do not come with a regulator.
You must remove the mask to go to your secondary air source, so you should carry a back up scuba mask.
Must remove the mask to breath the ambient air or talk on the surface.
Is not designed to accept voice communications systems.

The Kirby Morgan M48 mask:
Has a pod that the regulator is attached to that you can remove, switch.
You pop the pod off to breath or talk on the surface.
You can switch gas mixes by poping off one pod and poping on a pod attached to your next mix.
You can probably use your own regulator with this mask or buy it with a Kirby Morgan regulator installed.
To go to your secondary air source or buddy breath you simply pop the pod off and stick a regulator in your mouth, the rest of the mask stays in place and you can still see. No spare mask necessary (except if you smash your face into a solid object, thus shaddering the face plate and smashing your nose, jaw, cheak bones and forehead).
It has ports for voice communications systems.
If set up in standard configuration it has a scuba mouth peice inside that you breath through. This reduces Carbon Dioxide buildup in the mask, and it allows you to continue to breath if the mask should flood.
Mask has a nose pocket like a standard scuba mask making it sinple to equalize your ears.

Might not fit smaller faces as well.
Some people say it is not as soft and can be uncomfortable (I have not noticed it to be).
It is higher priced, but comprable to the AGA, OTS and Ocean Reef masks.
It is a little harder to find because it is not marketed as well as the other brands.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Cressi and Scuba Pro masks:
You can probably use your own regulator that you currently have.
True.

Must remove the mask to... talk on the surface.
Not true.

I use the Cressi FFM in my work every day and I love it. It works very, very well in that capacity. That being said, I am not a recreational diver. But if I were, I don't think this mask would be anywhere near my first choice for a full-face mask, for all the reasons muddiver listed above.

Again, thanks for all the info. I am going to try and find a place that rents them so i can try out the different types before i buy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom