Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigcape

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have any of you own or dove with a full face mask? None of the LDS's seem have any in stock.

The ones I have seen look really cheap. Anyexperiences to share?

(I know there are other threads about them but the "search" feature to find them does not seem to work.)

Do they cover the ears?

I dive with an Ocean Reef Neptune Nira II, I use a maximus regulator on it, altho they offer one of their own. They have this model and one new one called the Space. There are many advantages to FFM, and some disadvantages... Other good FFM's are the AGA , Kirby Morgan EXO setup. Most do not cover your ears, unless you go full helmet style.

Advantages:
VERY LITTLE FOGGING ISSUES IF ANY
Little to no Jaw fatigue
No dry mouth
Ability to add communications (pricey but worth it if u need it)
Ability to add drinking bladder (no do not fill it with booze !)
Better view of the whats outside of your mask :)
Very NICE for cold water diving !!!!!!!
Great if you have to dive in contanimated water, protects you.
Ability to put in/wear Perscription Glasses (Ocean Reef has a set of Lens Holders that clip in)
Always get the surface valve option and quick disconnect !!! very helpful to have on any FFM.

Disadvantages:
You must get TRAINED !!! or be a very skilled diver to use !!!!
You should carry a backup mask as a just in case. And practice ALOT with ditching and switching.
If you are OOA, you have to ditch your mask, unless you have a setup to have a 2nd reg on the mask (which I can do) or a valve setup that kicks you over to a different tank (which I think is better solution)
Cost - You get what you pay for, but in my opinion a FFM is worth it's price.

JungleJoe:
I dive with an Ocean Reef Neptune Nira II, I use a maximus regulator on it, altho they offer one of their own. They have this model and one new one called the Space. There are many advantages to FFM, and some disadvantages... Other good FFM's are the AGA , Kirby Morgan EXO setup. Most do not cover your ears, unless you go full helmet style.

Advantages:
Little to no Jaw fatigue
No dry mouth
Always get the surface valve option and quick disconnect !!! very helpful to have on any FFM.

Disadvantages:
You should carry a backup mask as a just in case. And practice ALOT with ditching and switching.
If you are OOA, you have to ditch your mask, unless you have a setup to have a 2nd reg on the mask (which I can do) or a valve setup that kicks you over to a different tank (which I think is better solution)

How do you clear a full face mask in the event of a flood? With so much more water in it how do you get a breath to do it?

JungleJoe:
Advantages:
Little to no Jaw fatigue
No dry mouth

Disadvantages:

One more advantage: You can wear presciption classes inside the mask.

Yeah, I forgot to mention you can add the glasses thing too !

Yes, you can PURGE to clear the mask, or if you have air in your lungs, just exhale :)

Edited my 1st post to include those advantages !

If you are seriously considering full face masks the only one I would consider would be the AGA. It is a proven design and will stand up to hard use. Not so sure about the other ones.

Brent

EXO-BR is a nice rig also, but heavier.

The M-48 is a real nice mask also.

I do agree with you about the AGA, durable and comfortable mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom