full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyguy101:
i was just wondering if a full face mask w/ or w/o communication is DIR?

No. For many reasons. One of the most obvious being that you cannot donate a longhose from your mouth when using a full face mask

Reinoud:
No. For many reasons. One of the most obvious being that you cannot donate a longhose from your mouth when using a full face mask

So does this make rebreathers non-DIR also?

*** MOD POST ***

I've removed non-DIR answers and trolls from ths thread as well as any repsonses to them.

I'd like to remind everyone that the DIR forum is not a place to give non-DIR answers or argue against the DIR system (much less troll).

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum if you are not familiar with the DIR forum rules.

People who continue trolling in the DIR forum will be permanently banned from posting in the DIR forum.

Christian

*** MOD POST ***

Reinoud:
And the reverse is just as bad. If you go OOG, you have to remove your mask to get the donated reg. Compounding problems is what gets people killed. It's usually not just the one problem.

Chris

LG Diver:
reinoud:
... you cannot donate a longhose from your mouth when using a full face mask
So does this make rebreathers non-DIR also?
That depends on the type of rebreather. With the Halcyon rebreather, you always have the open circuit option available. OC hoses are configured and wrapped the same way when wearing the rebreather, so all you have to do is move the closed circuit loop aside and donate the long hose over the head, same as always.

DIR-Atlanta:
That depends on the type of rebreather. With the Halcyon rebreather, you always have the open circuit option available. OC hoses are configured and wrapped the same way when wearing the rebreather, so all you have to do is move the closed circuit loop aside and donate the long hose over the head, same as always.

I had thought about this. I'm not a rebreather diver, but have been curious. Does the long hose come over the back of the neck ontop of the rebreather corrugated rebreather hose, or below? If below, wouldn't donating the hose be interfered by the corrugated hose?

amascuba:
I'm not a rebreather diver, but have been curious. Does the long hose come over the back of the neck ontop of the rebreather corrugated rebreather hose, or below? If below, wouldn't donating the hose be interfered by the corrugated hose?
The long hose reg goes under the corrugated (i.e. "loop") hose. There is also a standard backup on a necklace, just like for open circuit. In addition to the standard regs, there is a second stage integrated into the rebreather mouthpiece assembly, which allows the diver to switch the whole configuration to open circuit without removing the mouthpiece. This is accomplished by flipping a lever on the front. That reg is attached via a small hose coming from the diver's right, secured directly to the corrugated hose.

You can see a pretty good view of all of this in this picture. The clipped-off long hose and necklaced backup are both clearly visible.

To deploy the long hose while using an RB80, the donating diver removes the RB mouthpiece and allows it to float just over his or her head. The mouthpiece assembly is pretty close to neutral, so it just kind of hangs there, as shown in this picture. After the OOG diver is "plugged in", the donating diver can resume breathing from the RB mouthpiece.

As with OC, the donating diver is without a reg for a half second or so during the exchange, but at least two backups are always within easy reach should the need arise (RB mouthpiece or necklaced reg). I suspect that a DIR diver would just automatically grab the necklaced reg anyway out of habit. Once everyone is "OK", the long hose deployment and air sharing proceeds just as it would for an open circuit donation.

So donating the long hose while using an RB80 is pretty much the same procedure as on open circuit, with the exception of the additional step of pushing the loop hose out of the way during the actual exchange. I don't have much direct knowledge of air-sharing procedures for other types of RBs, but my impression is that it's not really possible (or at least not very easy), so they require a completely separate and redundant OC bailout.

DIR-Atlanta:
The long hose reg goes under the corrugated (i.e. "loop") hose. There is also a standard backup on a necklace, just like for open circuit. In addition to the standard regs, there is a second stage integrated into the rebreather mouthpiece assembly, which allows the diver to switch the whole configuration to open circuit without removing the mouthpiece. This is accomplished by flipping a lever on the front. That reg is attached via a small hose coming from the diver's right, secured directly to the corrugated hose.

You can see a pretty good view of all of this in this picture. The clipped-off long hose and necklaced backup are both clearly visible.

To deploy the long hose while using an RB80, the donating diver removes the RB mouthpiece and allows it to float just over his or her head. The mouthpiece assembly is pretty close to neutral, so it just kind of hangs there, as shown in this picture. After the OOG diver is "plugged in", the donating diver can resume breathing from the RB mouthpiece.

As with OC, the donating diver is without a reg for a half second or so during the exchange, but at least two backups are always within easy reach should the need arise (RB mouthpiece or necklaced reg). I suspect that a DIR diver would just automatically grab the necklaced reg anyway out of habit. Once everyone is "OK", the long hose deployment and air sharing proceeds just as it would for an open circuit donation.

So donating the long hose while using an RB80 is pretty much the same procedure as on open circuit, with the exception of the additional step of pushing the loop hose out of the way during the actual exchange. I don't have much direct knowledge of air-sharing procedures for other types of RBs, but my impression is that it's not really possible (or at least not very easy), so they require a completely separate and redundant OC bailout.

Excellent explanation! That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks.

Wouldn't a donating RB80 diver have to seal off the mouthpiec first when removing the mouthpiece to avoid flooding the loop? A very important step to remember when donating, unless you want to have both divers suddenly going to OC together, I would think...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom