Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirekW

Registered
Reaction score
Please share your experience with full face masks. I am planning to purchase full face mask (Kirby Morgan 48 Supermask) to use with Divelink communication system and I will appreciate any revue of this mask as well as recommendations of other FFM brands.
Immediate application of this mask will be video production in Truk but I want to be sure that mask will work well in ice diving environment and dry suit.

The KM 48 and Divelink set-up should work well for you in those conditions. A lot of video crews use the AGA (Divator Mk II) and OTS comms. I have several of those set-ups and they work superbly.

I have dove the super light-17, and the 18, owned the KMB-10, dove the EXO, and concluded, they are great hat's, Far more expensive than the dive shop variety of full-faced masks. If you use a hat or a band mask , you will use a lot more gas! You want to get a demand rig, not a free flow system. Very IMPORTANT, GET GOOD TRAINING BEFOR USING!!!....Capt Tom

try the new poseidon atmosphere.it uses the tried and tested jet stream. the thing with poseidon is the deeper you go the better they get.it is a good positive pressure mask.

I recently bought a Kirby Morgan M-48 and although I only have a few dives on it, I am impressed with it.

In 34 degree water it has performed flawlessly with easy pod removal, replacement, de-watering, etc and I experienced no issues related to cold water icing etc. The mask uses a regular scuba style nose for equalizataion rather than a nose block (which is a plus in my opinion) and there is enough room to pinch your nose closed sucessfully even with 7mm gloves on.

It has a lot less positive bouyancy than an AGA which is a big plus as no weight kit is required.

It also has a great quick release on the harness that makes getting out of the mask very simple and very quick. Of course, I also discovered that you want to use the quick release rather than loosening the straps as you can't get a great angle on them with the mask on and there is a piece in the strap adjuster that is apparently rather fragile in well below freezing weather as I managed to break it. Using the quick release would prevent any problem, but I am ordering a couple extras adjusters for spares. On a positive note, a zip tie around both ends of the strap trailing from the adjuster worked fine as a field expedient repair and the second dive went off as scheduled.

In practice, I found you can leave either the left or right side straps adjusted and only snug up the other side after donning the mask. This would let you tape the ends of the straps on one side down to keep them from dangling and snagging monofilament etc.

The harness quick release comes with a neoprene cover/pad installed over it. This would be nice to have in warm water diving without a hood, but the padding gets in the way a bit when accessing the quick release with thick gloves on. So you'll want it for comfort if you don't have a hood (where you will also not have gloves making it a non-problem) but you may want to remove it if you are using a hood as you will not need the padding (but where you will also lose dexterity with gloves on and will benefit from it's removal).

The mask skirt curves in slightly along the cheek under the eye and this makes it hard to wear the mask seated on top of a hood without it leaking slightly. But it works very well with the mask sealing directly against your skin and the hood pulled up to or over the edges of the nask. (Some slight trimming of the hood material in the chin area eliminates any bunching under the mask in that area.) It would not be a good choice for diving in contaminated water, but a neck dam and helmet are preferable in that situation anyway.

You can also get it without the Kirby Morgan Superflow second stage which saves you money and lets you use your own regulator if you prefer. Care needs to be taken that the second stage does not contact the tilt valve that is used to drain the pod. The slightly accordian nature of the pod itself can cause some problems with exceptionally sensitive and easy breathing regulators. My D400 stuttered badly until the inhalation effort was cranked up a bit (from .7 to about 1.2 inches of water) and I ended up just going with my X650.

Visibility is the same as you would get from a regular scuba mask. It does not offer the fishbowl visibility of an AGA, but then it does not have all the reflection issues either.

The nice part about the M48 is that it allows you to switch to an alternate air source or a deco gas without having to have additional attachments, clutter and hoses running to the mask, without having to use a gas switching block, or without having to remove the mask and switch to a backup.

mirekW:
Please share your experience with full face masks. I am planning to purchase full face mask (Kirby Morgan 48 Supermask) to use with Divelink communication system and I will appreciate any revue of this mask as well as recommendations of other FFM brands.
Immediate application of this mask will be video production in Truk but I want to be sure that mask will work well in ice diving environment and dry suit.

The KB is a good helmet, although price wise a bit expensive. I own the 17 & 27 bought long time ago.........(Had more money then lol)
I sold to the Greek Navy here for their team of Divers (OYK) to be used in the security for the Olympics the Dräger Panorama Nova Dive Full face mask together with a Draeger Shark reg and the Draeger U/W communication system also together with the Viking pro 1000 military drysuit, It was very well accepted by them and we were able to under cut KB on their tender. They dove in the contaminated waters of Pireaus harbour and there were no problems. If your interested look here or contact me.........
http://www.draeger.com/ST/internet/...ullFaceMask/PNDive/pd_pn_dive_accessories.jsp

The Kirby Morgan M48 is just a FFM, not a helmet.

They are now also sold through Oceanic and JMC Diving. They seem to be advertised at around $450 but I only paid $350 for mine. That puts them in the same price range as a Neptune and about 1/2 the price of an AGA. Additional open circuit pods run about $115 and a rebreather pod is available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom