Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a possibility for you: link

Hi Thalassamania,

Thanks for the link but I've learned my lesson... must try b4 buy. I'll do see if I can get my hands on that mask n see how well it fits.

Thanks,

SangP

Sang..My wife and me have used the Mantis and the Oceaa reef space for rec diving, solely for the reason of eliminating the dry mouth and being able to breathe through the nose. Its about what makes you comfortable on a dive. Wife is asian too and has a small nose! and she could breath through her nose in the Mantis with out issue. However we both recently switched to the OTS guardian (she did and I followed after trying it) and love it (32 dives so far). Has a double skirt to fit smaller face and it breathes really well. However I notice people above are stearing you away, I find it personally great for rec diving and as long as you practice..practice..practice your done-doff skills and emerg skills with your buddy so it becomes second nature then you will be fine. I have gone back to trad regs/mask and hate it. I will never go back unless I have no choice.

I think very highly of the AGA (that's the real brand of the OTS).

I think very highly of the AGA (that's the real brand of the OTS).

Actually, the "AGA", the Interspiro Divator MKII, is Swedish made. OTS was instrumental in the marketing of the mask in the US and in getting the mask Navy approved as the MK20 in the 80's. It was the cornerstone of the OTS line for many years. The Guardian was developed and is manufactured by OTS. OTS still carries and services the Divator MKII. The Divator is an excellent mask and has been around for a long time, but the design hasn't changed in for the past 25 years. The Guardian was designed to bring full face masks into the 21st century and to resolve some issues with other masks. I'm starting to sound like a sales pitch, so I'll leave it at this. I'm biased for a variety of reasons. At least take a look at it, there are a lot of differences that, I think, raises it to the top of the list.

Thanks guys,

I know the guardian and the Draeger are really well built masks and it's great to know that a lot of you really love the guardian.

I'll still have to try out the both of them before making a decision.

Many thanks,

SangP

Just out of curiosity, what parts in the Guardian does OTS actually manufacture?

The mask and reg is designed by OTS and is manufactured by a facility overseas, as are most masks and regulators, to their design specs.

No not yet but so far I'm leaning more and more towards the draeger nova cus it has all the necessary hardware for rebreathers/different p ports for other 2nd stages too.

I just need to find one to try it on my face.

SangP

Drager Nova R is by far the best from the masks mentioned, epecially if you plan to use it with rebreather. The FFMs with Oral/nasal cavity are not suitable for rebreathers as they promote CO2 retention - very serious killer on CCRs.
You need to look for a mask with a bite piece if you plan to use it with CCR.
The Buddy phones and associated OTS gear are quite adequate for most simple UW comm needs. We used in on many shoots and even the dim actors were able to follow directions :)

Drager Nova R is by far the best from the masks mentioned, epecially if you plan to use it with rebreather. The FFMs with Oral/nasal cavity are not suitable for rebreathers as they promote CO2 retention - very serious killer on CCRs.
You need to look for a mask with a bite piece if you plan to use it with CCR.
The Buddy phones and associated OTS gear are quite adequate for most simple UW comm needs. We used in on many shoots and even the dim actors were able to follow directions :)

Hi Jakub,

Thanks for the reply, could you please drop me a mail as I would like to ask you more questions before deciding on which mask to get please?

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom