Full face mask fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Scubapro full face mask which I have used about 10 times in the ocean. I have a lot of problem with it fogging. I have tried commercial drops, baby shampoo, etc.. I read somewhere that the mask has a special mineral coating applied during manufacture to help prevent fogging. With any other new mask I would scrub it with toothpaste to clean the glass the first dozen dives. I don't dare to do that with this one because I don't want to remove this mineral film if it is there for a purpose. Should I scrub it? Can I apply some kind of special coating later? Also I have a hard time popping my ears with winter gloves on. Any suggestions that might work with this mask - nose clips? - a wad of something in the nose piece? Thanks for any advice..............Joe

Joe,

The second generation of the FFM has a coating on the plastic lens that should not be scrubbed with anything abrasive. It is perfectly acceptable to scrub the glass lens with toothpaste, (not the gel kind), to resolve the fogging issue. Many divers use diluted baby shampoo as a defog that works very well.

Some divers do have a bit of trouble clearing their ears; it is recommended that deliberate placement of an index finger on both sides of the nose, with 5mm gloves, works well. I, of course do not know how well your nose fits in the pocket of the FFM.
Hope that helps.

Thank you SBHarry - I have been thinking about my solutions to this problem. I appreciate you confirming that there is a special layer on the glass that needs to be considered. I am thinking I will put the mouthpiece back on so that no exhaled, warm air gets into the mask. This will probably cure it, though I do enjoy not having to use the mouthpiece. Hopefully it will also cure the excessive amount of air I gobble up with this mask. With my warmer water masks I use a layer of toothpaste left on overnight to stop the fogging [not to scrub with] instead of commercial anti-foggers. Maybe I can try that also on the ffm if you say it won't damage the special coating. As to the ear popping problem - I wear 6mm 5 finger Waterproofs and can't get both fingers in to pop them. I can only seem to do the right nostril. I will try nose plugs next weekend. Thanks a lot for the reply. I think I will love the mask once I get the bugs worked out.

edit - I believe I have the glass lens because it is marked with a T which usually means tempered. On rereading your post I think you are saying there is no special coating on the glass lens.

Hello again,

If the lens is plain, it is plastic and perhaps one with the coating. If, however, it has the SCUBAPRO logo and a T or Tempered, it is glass and you may scrub away, there is no coating ....

best in diving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom