Full cave - stage handling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I understand. Metric or imperial make no difference. It's desirable to have the reserve in a form that's sharable, sustainable, and streamlined. Reserve distributed across several stages just isn't. This thread may be of interest.

Thanks, the thread and others have been read with interest.

Styring gas in backgas is of course the same between imperial and metric, I just argue that, at least to me, the maths for reserving gas works out far easier in metric.

the maths for reserving gas works out far easier in metric
As an aside, once you memorize the imperial tank factor, it's as easy as metric.
  • S80 is 2200 l, a third (as an example) is 700 l. The "magic number" for your double 12s is 24, so that's equivalent to 30 bar (700/24) in them.
  • For imperial LP85s, the "magic number" (tank factor) is 6. The S80 is about 75 cuft, a third is 25 cuft, which is equivalent to about 400 psi (25 / 6) in them. Tank factor is rated cuft / rated psi * 100 (=81/2640*100). Blame the marketing dept for calling these LP85s when ideal capacity is only 81 cuft!

Metric is nice in that the magic number is stamped on the tank. 😆

Thanks, the thread and others have been read with interest.

Styring gas in backgas is of course the same between imperial and metric, I just argue that, at least to me, the maths for reserving gas works out far easier in metric.
Going from pressure to volume and vice versa is easier in metric, however with both metric and imperial tanks you will still need to gas match which gets more complicated when tank sizes are dissimilar.

As an aside, once you memorize the imperial tank factor, it's as easy as metric.
"memorize the imperial tank factor" ==> NOT "as easy as metric."

I wish scuba diving in the US would switch to metric. I would switch on my own, but it doesn't make sense (and is probably dangerous) if the people around me don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom