Fuji Z100fd versus Canon A720IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping to decide on a digital camera before my FL trip next month. Currently, the two main contenders are the Fuji Z100fd and the Canon A720IS.

The Canon A720IS seems to be quite popular here on SB but I've yet to come across any Fuji reports. I'm guessing it'a a reflection of Fuji's popularity as opposed to quality. :wink:

Assuming they're equal in quality (Fuji has a 2-year warranty in Canada as opposed to Canon's 1) is there any real reason to go for the Canon over the Fuji?

Here are some of the factors I'm considering:

The Fuji is significantly smaller than the Canon. I couldn't find any specs for the Canon housing, but the Fuji is only 5x4x2.5".

The Fuji does NOT have manual white balance. Just how many people actually use this feature? It does have automatic scene recognition. Should this suffice?

The *macro* is described differently between the two cameras... Fuji specs states wide macro: 3.5" to 2.6' and Canon states closest focus distance 1cm. (I believe I'd be OK with 3.5".)

I've only used a digital camera twice while u/w and both were rentals that were preset before I took them diving. I've been busy reading threads here on SB... is there anything else I should consider feature-wise? I'm not aiming for a National Geographic cover; I just want a quality camera to take pictures of the pretty fish with. :wink:

I use a Fuji F700 and have been happy with it.
As for the lack of manual white balance on the Z100fd that would be a deal breaker IMHO.
Have you considered a Fuji F40fd or F50fd ? both have manual WB and Fuji housings are available.

Thx for the suggestions, RAWalker, but I was considering the Fuji primarily because it's so thin and has a 5x zoom.

I tweak everything in PhotoShop so I was hoping manual white balance control wouldn't be a big deal. :confused:

I used the Fuji F31 fd and the Canon A720IS side by side. Both can give you good results. Without an external strobe, the Fuji works better, due to it's superior low light abilities. With an external strobe the Canon is much better. I more consistently got the shot with the Canon, using my Sea&Sea YS-90 duo strobe. The Canon has a full manual mode which allows you to set the shutter speed and aperture indepenedently, the Fuji lacks this mode. In full manual mode the Canon doesnt use a preflash, so it will work with any cheap strobe. Its syncs great with the external strobe. With an external strobe make sure you dont use the Canon flash diffuser, because it blocks the focus light. See images with each in my Bonaire Gallery page 7, on Bonaire Photo Gallery by Eli Finkelstein at pbase.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom