Question Fuji X-T5 for underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari Gato

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So many great resources on this forum! Glad I landed here. One thing I’ve been trying to figure out is whether the Fuji X-T5 would do well underwater. I’ve owned this camera and shot it a lot topside, and I’m wondering why there seem to be so few Fuji underwater shooters. It’s a fantastic camera above water, with its manual dials to quickly adjust all settings. I could totally see myself doing quick adjustments under water using these as I’ve done topside.

I currently have a Sony RX100 w/ nauticam housing and I’m feeling limited by the smaller sensor and flash recycle speed. Every setting also requires to go in the menus, which is slow and takes focus away from the action. My goal is photography only and prints, so I’m debating getting a housing for my Fuji or just sell it and get a Sony A7R V or A7 IV.

Appreciate any opinion / experience on the matter! Thanks :)

The main issue is availability of lenses. There is no native fisheye, and from what I understand, adapting Canon EF to Fuji X to use Canon 8-15mm or Tokina 10-17mm doesn't work nearly as good as for Sony E or M43.

One thing I’ve been trying to figure out is whether the Fuji X-T5 would do well underwater. I’ve owned this camera and shot it a lot topside, and I’m wondering why there seem to be so few Fuji underwater shooters.

Great question. I used a number of the various Fuji X-T series on land and love them! In addition to no native fisheye, the Fuji low-light focus tends to be not as strong as the more popular uw systems. (Sony, Nikon, Canon). It seems this has kept it from having greater success.

Using a separate flash trigger is the key to fast recycle times. Using its own batteries works much faster than systems that rely on built-in pop up flashes.

If you want to stay with an APS-C system, perhaps check out the new Sony a6700. The Tokina 10-17 fisheye, as well as various Nauticam water contact lenses work very well with it.

As a side note, I have a friend selling his Sony/Nauticam a6600 system if you would interested. Let me know if you would like to get more info.

The Sony a7rV is also an excellent choice! (I use an a1 and a7rV.) It will give you plenty of power to photograph just about anything you want below and above the waves. There is, unfortunately, a bit of a price tag associated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Best of luck!
Chip

I'm actually about to upgrade to the XT-5. I've been shooting on an XT-1 for a while now.

Once you figure out your settings, the XT line does pretty well under water. And it shoots great out of the water after the dive. With white balance, you can get it ballpark, but know that you'll still need to take some time in Lightroom tweaking curves. I recommend Photoshop too so you can bring out specific parts of the pics, but that's also the nature of shooting RAW with any camera.

I've got a Rikonon 8mm Fisheye II that works pretty good on land, but gives me too much vignetting in my current housing, so I don't shoot with it much. Upgrading to a more modular housing available for XT-2 and beyond would likely give me a bit more flexibility, but that's not in my current budget.

some samples with the 18-55mm standard lens (the 5 has a much better sensor than the 1, but this is what 10 year old Fuji tech shoots like today)

DSCF2587.png DSCF2513.pngDSCF1364small.png DSCF2179.pngDSCF2150.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom