Fuji F50 or ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zendee

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for tiny point/shoot with housing by camera manufacturer, don't want external strobe. Has anyone used the F50 in the past year? Or a good alternative?

I've read the previous posts that it wasn't as good as F30. But in today's market, what camera to buy?
Looking for manual white balance & macro mode. Do I need u/w mode, too? Have seen great photos from older Canon's, but hard to fight thru the megapix race to find settings best for u/w.

Thanks!

I just ordered a F50fd I did a lot of reading of reviews and after digesting all the info I had to agree with a very in depth review I read that basically stated it isn't that the F30 or f31 were better but that they were so good at the time they were released that everyone expected much more from the F50FD.
This doesn't mean that the F50fd isn't a good camera just not as good as many had hoped. The F50fd still has a sensor with superior color gamut but unfortunately Fuji pushed the size/megapixel ratio and it had a marginal gain. Still this camera delivers a great set of features in a compact P&S and now they are at prices that put them far about many other cameras at the same price point.
The underwater mode may be helpful but it isn't the a make or break. A much more important factor for underwater is the ability to manually adjust white balance. This and the other manual settings make this a very attractive camera to the more advanced shooter.
The only real thing holding the highly advanced shooters from endorsing this camera is a lack of RAW file handling.
Ecost.com has recert F50fd on sale for $109 at this price you'll be hard pressed to find a better performer for the money.

Zendee, I have a F10 (same sensor as the F30), and F50, G9 and g10 all in underwater housings...

If you would like to try the F50, as you are in alabama... just drop me a PM. The center image on the camera is great, but the edge drop off, at least for me, is terrible..

I have been a huge Fuji fan over the years, but the latest ones are not to the same quality as earlier products.

I would, today, go with one of the canon's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom