Fuji F30 or Canon SD630?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesnt appear that either of the Fuji's or the Canon's listed above have a RAW mode ( I maybe wrong, but I don;t see it listed on the specs). You might want to concider that when selecting a camera..you get maximum opertunity to edit the picture post dive with RAW. That is why I chose the Fuji E900. Have not yet dove with it (just got my housing on 2/21).

but something to think about.

RAW is the least of these cameras "downsides" - they don't have manual controls either!

But if you shoot exclusively within their zone (up close so the internal flash lights your subject) they can produce some nice images. They are just very limited cameras. Some will find them just right, but most people will want a little more control over the images...even after a few dives.

alcina:
RAW is the least of these cameras "downsides" - they don't have manual controls either!

The F30 does have manual controls, aperature and shutter speed can both be manually adjusted independently, just not together. The F30 also has manual white balance. The F30's CCD is also superior IMO, it has usable ISO to 800, 1600 is even suitable for small prints and/or web with some processing. Higher sensitivity = strobe will work slightly farther.

Haven't shot the Canon but I did buy the F30 (mainly due to an SB thread that Starlan started--thanks Starlan!) I used the camera on Bonaire for the first time in December and it takes a nice uw photo. The Fuji uw housing is fairly small (like the camera). It has a double O-ring seal, it's fairly low cost but wait--ihere's the flash diffuser!! This clip on deal does a decent job of (almost) evenly lighting a macro shot. The diffuser isn't as good as multiple, positionable strobes on an Ikelite housing of course, but the Fuji housing (w/ the cheap plastic diffuser) runs about $135. Yeah, there is that...

Here are a few shots (click the link) http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/Warmwaterwank/ using an F3o w/ the Fuji housing (no other attachments or accessories and just a bit of P'shop corrections, nothing heavy). Oh, the NP-95 rechargable battery the F30 uses works great--several hundred flash shots on a charge. 1GB high speed xD cards are cost competitive (Fry's/$29.95). This is a very reasonable, small, simple camera-- I'm happy with the pictures it takes. // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom