Fuji F30 or Canon SD630?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm impressed with the Fuji F30.......my son thinks the SD630 is the way to go. Of course he's the photographer....I'm only a lowly "spotter".

Seen lots of good reviews on the Fuji here not much on the SD. How do they stack up as far as mainly uw performance, combined cost of initial purchase/cards/housings....he thinks the memory card costs are a major factor ???

Any tips will be much appreciated~

While the F30 uses a less than standard format, a large 2G card can be picked up for pretty cheap (check eBay).

I personally love my F30 and the matching Fuji case is awesome with its double o-ring seal. I'm still working at getter better pictures but here are some recent ones:

Fuji_2007_0211_141726.jpg

Fuji_2007_0211_142237.jpg

Fuji_2007_0210_184633.jpg

I forgot to mention the SD630 has NO manual aperature/shutter speed adjustments while the F30 does. I'm not sure if the SD630 has MWB, but it's a MUST for underwater pics. I started out not using it and since I've started using it my pictures have become miles better!

I would definitely take a look at the canon A series cameras. I had a A70 for almost 4 years and it worked great above and below water. The pictures turned out awesome and I was even able to make a calender of the pics as a Christmas present this last year. I most recenly have upgraded to an A710IS, which has image stabilization and it has thus far worked great as well.

Additionally, the A series cameras have the adjustable parameters mentioned above.

On a final note my A70 went the way of the dodo a few months back. Remember this is after having the camera for almost 4 years. I called Canon and they replaced it with a newer model and even replaced the underwater housing all for free. Just can't beat that kind of service.

There are everal choices out there.

IMHO don't buy any camera for underwater use that does not have full manual controls. "Auto" mode just won't do underwater.

. I called Canon and they replaced it with a newer model and even replaced the underwater housing all for free. Just can't beat that kind of service.

Your camera flooded and you got it replaced by Canon? How the h*ll did you manage that? I just flooded my S80 in my Canon housing --- hmmm, should I call and complain?

Peter Guy:
Your camera flooded and you got it replaced by Canon? How the h*ll did you manage that? I just flooded my S80 in my Canon housing --- hmmm, should I call and complain?

they sell there own underwatter case he probly had one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom