Fuji F30 or Canon S70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent images ghnouer, especially the 3rd one above - beautiful!

thanx for responding
Alexis

Thank you Varoshiotis.....sorry but I think that I edited my previous post after you had posted yours... I was trying to upload images in the text not thumbnails. (but I have no idea how to do that again...I will try again with more images). By the way the video mode of the camera is amazing...Good luck with your choice...GHN

Hummm...ok now I get
Bombinhas1-2007009.jpg

FotoSub_Bombinhas_2006_10x15_002.jpg

FotosBombinhas3139.jpg

Hi ghnouer,
Thanx for the images - very impressive.
Looking at my 2 cameras and the Sunpak-G strobe, I realised that the Fuji has no way of controlling the flash output of it's on-board flash whereas the S70 does. This is useful because when the slave strobe is used as the main source of illumination, it is is best to reduce the output of the on-board flash to a minimum. I wonder if this limitation might mean that the S70 is more suitable to ANY external strobe being used?

Anybody out there have any experience using the Fuji and an external strobe?

regards
alexis

I have a fuji F11 (almost identical) and use an external strobe... and yes the camera strobe does go to maximum.. which uses the battery up faster.. but it has an excellent battery, and have never had an issue using it for two tank dives. Video is extremely good with it.

My avatar is a macro shot, by the way, taken with it.

Alexis, where is the slave sensor on the sunpak (sorry I'm not familiar with that strobe)? What you could do is, tape up the diffuser that comes on the F30 housing as ideally you don't want to use the inboard flash at all. But I wonder if that's still enough light to trigger your sunpak.

edit: OK, just for the heck of it, I put my F30 in the housing and did a quick test with my Inon Z-240. If you cover up the opaque front of the diffuser, enough flash still get's out from the rear of the diffuser to trigger the Z-240's slave sensor...

Edit2: even better, didn't realize you mention you have a fiber optic cable for the Sunpak. Just stick that underneath the diffuser, tape up the front of the diffuse... walla!

And given the excellent battery life on the F30, I think your sunpak will give out well before the battery on the F30 does even with the flash on all the time... :D
uwhf30_m.jpg

Hi Pakman,

Thank you so much for the reply and for taking the time to test things out on my account.
The UK-sourced housing does not appear to have a diffuser - this is just by looking at the product photos - see http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/accessories/accessory.php?id=1054

However, as you rightly pointed out I do have a fiber optic cable to trigger the Sunpak. It is almost identical to the Epoch strobe configuration. At one end is a piece of velcro with a small hole in it that you glue to the housing. The Fibre optic cable has a velcro at one end (and the beginning of the cable) that sticks on top of the velcro on the housing - in many ways, not having the diffuser is probably a good things as the velcro will do a better job cover the on-board flash than covering that big diffuser!

I guess reading what you wrote and some common sense makes me realise that it will probably not be a problem with the Sunpak strobe after all - as long as it stays dry!

regards and thanx again
alexis

Back
Top Bottom