Fuji F100 vs Canon G9 - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw this thread (doh)...and happen to have a F50 and a Canon G10....and a set of YS110 strobes.

I got the canon, after going on a surface trip the the Mediterranean and comparing my pictures with my wife's G9, of the exact same things...and I was only comparing the highest level jpeg's from each.

Note: Fuji is famous for have extremely high quality jpeg's... canon, not so much.

Using the same ISO, the canon was about the same in the center, but edge to edge sharpness was far better with the canon...and the antishake seemed to work better..

So I bought a G10, and tried it. OMG...what a huge improvement. Not that the F50 was bad, but there are several huge differences...several of which I do not understand completely.

1. Close focus is so much closer with the canon...but more importantly, the auto strobe control in macro works amazingly welll.. better than well. You have to turn the strobes down when close...but they work... not so with the fuji...do not know why.

2. Auto exposure of the stobes is, if the output is set correctly (having the right output range) better in every picture...with the fuji, I had about a 50-50 success rate. With the cannon, it was over 90%.

3. Image quality. Wow, better than I was ever expecting. Some may be the antishake, some may be due to better focus, but the results are better than I was ever expecting.

4. Battery life, was about the same actually. New battery..it lasted for around 200 images.. obviously all strobe.. and the lcd was on for around 2 hours straight. Not complaining, by the way.

If anyone would like to see an image from the G10, just pm me an email address, but be aware the file sizes a rather large. The photobucket images suck.

My take on this is that almost all the down issues with the G10, happen to be up issues when underwater... the smaller sensor, allows better depth of field..the poor low light issue.. I shoot in ISO 80 all the time....

The only down side I could see, is that the canon case is a single o-ring design... the fuji, double...not sure if double really is better, but it looks better.

Back
Top Bottom