Fuji E900 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The reviews I have read on this camera state it wll take up to a 1 GIG card.

My questions are:

1. Will it accept a 2 GIG card without a firmware update?

2. If not, is there a firmware update for it?

It will work with the 2GB card out of the box. Be aware that the 2GB cards are all type "m" and are 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as the 1GB type "H" cards that are available. ASFAIK, there aren't any 2GB type "H" cards available as of yet.

Jack

JackConnick:
It will work with the 2GB card out of the box. Be aware that the 2GB cards are all type "m" and are 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as the 1GB type "H" cards that are available. ASFAIK, there aren't any 2GB type "H" cards available as of yet.

Jack

Thanks Jack. That tosses another factor into decision making.

I'm still researching an upgrade to my 4MP Oly.

I'm stuck between the Fuji E900 and Canon A640.

Canon = no RAW :(

Canon = May have photo quality problems w/o using the blue diffuser on my Inon D-180. I don't care for my white diffuser at depth as it robs me of too much of the strobes light. Canon cameras emphasize red in their pics and the Inon blue diffusser tones it down. Inon rep says not a prob w/o diffuser. So then why make one if not a prob?

Fuji = mechanical pop up and down flash. Can't take a no strobe shot w/o closing the flash. Can leave the flash on all the time and turn off the Inon strobe. The filter taped over the camera flash won't let it show in a non-strobe shot. What will flash on every shot do to battery life?

Fuji = Battery life with only 2 AA's versus 4 in Canon?

The research goes on.

I'd guess they make one to make some extra cash. I haven't noticed any problems using Canon A series cameras with Inon strobes, though I don't have the same model you do.

Why not the Oly 350?

I'll get slammed for this as I'm sure it's a fabulous camera, but the Fuji never did float my boat.

alcina:
I'd guess they make one to make some extra cash. I haven't noticed any problems using Canon A series cameras with Inon strobes, though I don't have the same model you do.

Why not the Oly 350?

I'll get slammed for this as I'm sure it's a fabulous camera, but the Fuji never did float my boat.

It's not the A640 but all Canon cameras are heavy on red by design according to the Inon rep.

No slamming here. I'm not that wild about the E900.

The Canon G7 is prob the best point-n-shoot out there but overpriced w/o RAW. Canon blew it on that one.

As for the Oly SP350, I handled it in a local shop and didn't like the write-to-card time in RAW. 10 to 15 seconds on a shot. Oly is notorius for that on all their PnS cameras that have RAW.

So far I am still sticking with my C4000Z.

Yeah, that write time is a killer!

I just haven't noticed the "heavy on the red" - and I've been using these little guys for years. Be interested to hear if current users are noticing that.

Yes, the canon p&s's seem to oversaturate the reds... or at least that it is what I had noticed with my old S70... although shooting in RAW helped resolve this... or use the blue tint diffusers if you use Inon's...

Well, I just floated my boat (The Odyssey) over Truk lagoon and did another week with the E900 and it's simply a great camera with the Inon strobes. The saturation and detail that the Fuji sensor puts out is fabulous, it's the same one that's in the S3 DSLR is why. Yeah there's some CA on W/A shots, but for macro it stands up very well against DSLRs.

I can't even think about not shooting RAW, there's simply too much advantage to post processing over jpegs.

There's tons of shots on my flickr site, I'm still editing the Truk stuff.

Jack

JackConnick:
Well, I just floated my boat (The Odyssey) over Truk lagoon and did another week with the E900 and it's simply a great camera with the Inon strobes. The saturation and detail that the Fuji sensor puts out is fabulous, it's the same one that's in the S3 DSLR is why. Yeah there's some CA on W/A shots, but for macro it stands up very well against DSLRs.

I can't even think about not shooting RAW, there's simply too much advantage to post processing over jpegs.

There's tons of shots on my flickr site, I'm still editing the Truk stuff.

Jack

78.gif

I need to talk with Jack.

Gilligan:
As for the Oly SP350, I handled it in a local shop and didn't like the write-to-card time in RAW. 10 to 15 seconds on a shot. Oly is notorius for that on all their PnS cameras that have RAW.

What card did you try the SP350 with? If you are prepared to upgrade the card you will get faster write times. I have a 5050 and use a Sandisk Extreme III CF card and RAW write time is only about 5 sec. While still a pain, by the time I have quickly looked at the shot, adjusted for composition or settings, I'm right to shot again.

HTH with your decision making,
Mel.b

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom