Ft. Pierce, Urca De Lima 8/12/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Donna and I went back to Ft. Pierce today and met some friends to dive the Urca De Lima wreck just North of Pepper Park. The Urca De Lima was lost in 1715, so the only thing left are a lot of Balast Stone and a few cannon. There is an old anchor as well, but I never saw it. The Balast Stone looks like rubble on the sand and it is covered with growth. George Kinney went out with his kayak and tied a raft to one of the cannon. It made finding the wreck very easy since the bouys that were put there by the county were lost two years ago in the hurricanes. By the way, the Urca De Lima was wrecked with an entire Spanish fleet in 1715. We saw a lot more fish today, mostly Juvinile Porkfish, Grunts, and Angels. We saw some very small Blennys and a few Damselfish. It was a really nice dive.

Seas were flat.
16 ft Max Depth
43 minutes total time
71 to 72 degrees F. It was chilly

Thanks loads to George for setting up this dive and locating the wreck. And thanks also to the initiation into the Bacardi Beach Diving Club. I probably have the name wrong, but everyone should get the idea. :D

DennisW:
71 to 72 degrees F. It was chilly
Holy Schmoly Dennis!!! You're gonna need a dry suit for that dive pretty soon!

I almost left my farmer john at home and would have been diving in just my swim suit. Donna was only in her core warmer and beanie. We would have stayed out longer if we had brought her full suit. Live and Learn. It was still fun.

Awww man!! Bacardi beach club???? How could I miss THAT one? Ah well...sometimes I have to work to pay for my diving!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom