Ft Myers diver dies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a hebrew mullet or tax collector had something to do with the drowning. I have no data to prove that either way, but being a HM chew toy would greatly increase your gas consumption without leaving obvious marks inside the wetsuit. Others in that area have had problems with "pushy" HM.

What is a hebrew mullet, and what is a tax collector.

Guessing shark on the latter..

TwoBit

I read the whole thread on Spearboard about that young fellow that died. Quite a different culture. Up here in Ontario, noone uses a gun because you would get in serious trouble if you have a gun near water.

Having been a spearfisherman for many years before deciding to return to scuba, can I ask, what is the big deal with killing yourself for a fish?

If you get an "HM" on the spear, a big one, and he (usually) goes deep or far into a cave as they tend to do, you just have to ditch the gun.

I used a simple Hawaian sling, and I have hit some very big fish with my spear, usually I would not bring them in on that rig as you have to grab the fish and the spear. So generally, I would go for the 10-15 lb ones.
A few times, I lost the spear in the fish. So I lost a $25 US spear. But I would never follow a fish down on Scuba. Can someone explain to me how these accidents happen? I tried spearfishing on tanks at 160 feet and it is definitely challenging. Is it getting out of breath and low on air chasing them that does it, as was pointed out. Or something else?

My condolences to the Spearboard people that have lost one of their own.

crispos once bubbled...

If you get an "HM" on the spear, a big one, and he (usually) goes deep or far into a cave as they tend to do, you just have to ditch the gun.

Shooting the HM is not in question as they are a Federally protected species. The problem is the larger HMs have no fear of man, and have actually bitten divers and drug divers around by the stiringer. If he was on the way up and caught the interest of a big HM, Carson would have been the prey, not the hunter.

I know of 2 similar incidents in that area this summer, but the diver's survived to tell the tale. Both ended poorly for the HM, but the diver survived.

FT

C'mon Fred, Attack of the Killer Jewfish?

You know, they are as hungry and aggressive as sharks, but only with the blood in the water. I guess I just haven't seen this sized monsters up close and personal like you guys. What is "drug divers around by the stiringer"?? Anyways, again, poor diver, but didn't he shoot a grouper which surfaced? My thoughts are more likely it's an out of air situation.

You shoot fish, Jewfish decides he wants it, he grabs it after you have strung it, you now have a fish that outweighs you 2:1 to 4:1 dragging you around while trying to eat the contents of the stringer.

You can't release it because of the tension on the snap (a good reason to have a cut-awayable line on there!)

Or worse, he grabs YOU.

We haven't had trouble with them getting that aggressive around here - at least not yet. Sharks, yes occasionally, but not the Jewfish - yet anyway.

I HAVE seen them up VERY close (as in less than 5') recently though, and if he wants to grab you, you've got a major problem. They don't have teeth like a shark, but they do have BIG jaws, and they can clamp down on your pretty hard I'd bet. You ain't gonna outswim him, and you also ain't gonna just ask nicely for him to let go either.

They are vacuum cleaners though too. One wreck that I like to dive recently had one show up. The fish population has definitely taken a turn for the worse over the last few weeks - what was a huge (300') barge teeming with life now has a few short fish on it and one huge Jewfish..... if we dive there now, its to see him, not to spear any more - there's nothing legal to spear left there as he has eaten it all already.

I would laugh, Genesis, at your description, if it weren't for that poor Carson guy. So MH's are off limits. Thank God, sounds like it's open season down your way, all the time. Wonder if there will be any fish left.

Well, I don't use a stringer, because I've had nurse, reef sharks and barracudas around when I fish. But I have never been fishing with a Jewfish deciding to "suck up" to me. When I get the fish I want, I shoot it and bring it up to the boat or dive platform. Guess you will all have to invite me down to go fishing and see this for myself. In any case, the Spearboard people say they are going to refocus on safety, and I think that is a great idea given the risks of what they are doing.

"Shaken like a terrier shakes a rat."

My primary point is that an experienced spearfisher generally won't loose it on one mistake, it takes a chain of errors.

The secondary point is to warn the rec divers the big jewfish looking at them like a puppy isn't one! A 400+ pound fish is dangerous to you, even if you are not intended prey. Jews, like most grouper, are visual and aural hunters. If thier intended prey is attached to you, or you are between them and what they consider to be lunch, you are going to have a problem.

Those "cute" little 100# jews that were hand fed have "done growed up."

FT

What a tragedy :(
Sorry it hit so close to home Colin.
My sympathies to his family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom