Ft Lauderdale site information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sergeantnic

Registered
Reaction score
I'm towing the boat down to Ft Lauderdale to do some diving with a friend of mine. I've never been down there so just wanted to know if anybody had info on the following sites.

Rodeo Reef??

Hall of Fame

Capt Dan

Copenhagen

We're doing Rodeo then Hall of Fame on Saturday. And Capt Dan / Copenhagen on Sunday.

Just want to know what to expect. Are there mooring balls at any of these sites? I don't have a depth finder so how hard is it to get on spot with just GPS?

What's the vis like this time of the year? Water temps? Is it hard water to navigate? Shallow areas etc?

Any info is appreciated.

The Copenhagen is the only one with mooring balls. I dive this wreck all the time for macro photography. The mooring balls actually mark the Pompano Drop Off reef. It is a seaward facing ledge that drops from about 12 feet to 30 feet. The Copenhagen wrecked on this reef in 1899. It is not an impressive wreck dive. It is mostly wreck debris, but it is an easy and relaxing dive.

I can tell you how to get the most out of this dive. If the current is out of the North (usually the case) then I would recommend tying up to the 4th mooring ball (counting from the South) and swim N. If the current out of the South then tie up at the 6th mooring ball (counting from the South) and swim S. There is a big anchor (see attachment) in the sand between the 4th and 5th ball, it is the highlight of the dive. Most of the wreckage lies between the 4th and the 6th mooring ball.

If you see a blue-green Malibu Two Kayak on the balls thats me :).

First timer here!
I will be there this weekend also! Towing a buddies boat to the area and plan to hit those reefs there out of Boca Inlet. The waters are deep, so no worries, just fast currents at times moving in and out of the inlet. The copenhagen is a good dive, been there many times. Not much left of the ship, but there a plenty of holes for fish and eel. Just south of the Copenhagen are plenty of mooring balls for a nice reef dive. Hopefully all goes good with my dives as my dive buddy is too lazy to get his ear looked at as he has trouble clearing (I can actually hear it whistle at times as he is forcing it to clear). Oh well, I have another friend going so if he can't clear he will just be boat ****** for the afternoon while we dive. Have fun!:14:

5 hours from now and we should be on the road!!! You got fuel in that stroker!!

Hall of Fame also has morring balls. It is right by the Commercial Pier... you can't miss it.

The GPS coordinates out there are pretty accurate for the wrecks off Broward and Palm Beach counties, but without a depth finder to zero you right in for your drop, it wouldn't be too hard to miss the Rodeo or Captain Dan due to the currents.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom