Ft Lauderdale Ship Grounding Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Keys are a Marine Sanctuary...If a vessel grounds, they are fined heavily for any reef they tear up.

Since Ft Lauderdale is way out of the sanctuary, do they face similar fines, like from DNR or Federal Laws????:(

On the local news tonight they said that the crew faces possible fines and repaying the cost of any reef restoration that may need to be done.

IMO they should confiscate the ship and sink it as our newest wreck dive. :D

Padipro:
On the local news tonight they said that the crew faces possible fines and repaying the cost of any reef restoration that may need to be done.

IMO they should confiscate the ship and sink it as our newest wreck dive. :D

Yeah buddy, that would make a really nice one in about 200' of water. :D

I'm with you Scott! It was really beginning to aggravate me that none of the newscasts were making any comments about reef damage. Considering this is - what - the third ship to ground out this year!

The shipping company will pay the cost of the salvage company that refloated the ship. The jurisdiction for the damage to the reef falls under the FWC, which (I believe) assessed the damage yesterday. Additionally, I believe that local authorities are also included and may impact the claim.

The FWC will fine the company for a dollar amount that it believes is necessary to repair the reef. I don't think (not for sure) that there is necessarily any punitive fine, but there could be. The important thing is to get the reef repaired as best as possible. This will cost them.

Paul Castronovo (sic?) who hosts the Paul & Ron morning show on 105.9 in SE FL also does editorials on Channel 10 (WPLG) on Sunday mornings.

Paul's editorial today was directed to the ship grounding and how with GPS, it's inexcusable and that the penalty should be immediate loss of the ship to become part of the artificial reef system.

Paul lives on the water and is an avid fisherman and I think he may dive as well.

Just out of curiosity,what was the reason that the ship grounded?Or do they know yet? Ordinarilly I would agree with impounding the ship, but if it was a mechanical malfunction,how do you justify taking a ship if let say the rudder jammed? Or the main engine failed? (all of which has happened before)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom