Ft.Lauderdale & Pompano Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am visiting Sth Fla. in Feb. of next year. I`ve previously dived the Keys & Boynton, but heard that shore diving from the above locations can be quite good and not as expensive as chartering a boat all of the time. Can anyone give me some info on diving in and around Ft.Lauderdale and Pompano Beach from the beach.?

Certainly shore diving is less costly than chartering a boat, but it's a trade off. First, you need seas that are flat or nearly so, otherwise the surf can be a challenge entering/exiting. Second thing is some of them can be a LONG swim out. Third thing is be prepared to have a lot of sand to rinse from your gear. Aside from that, there are a few in the area you asked about, here's a list and the distance to the reefs:

Commercial St (Lauderdale By The Sea) - 100-400ft
Nolan's Ledge (Pompano Beach)- 600 yards
Pompano Dropoff - 350 yards
Vista Park (N Ft. Lauderdale) 75-500 yards
Park Reef (Ft. Lauderdale) 500-600 yards
Dania Erojack Reef (Dania Beach) 425 yards
SeaTech Ledge/Dania Beach - 400-450 yards
Greene Street Ledges (Hollywood Beach) 500-600 yards
Hollywood North Beach Park 175-210 yards

Of these, I have dived Commercial, SeaTech. They are nice dives, and the swim isn't too bad, as long as you take your time and go straight out w/o meandering. You MUST have calm seas. I've attempted then aborted shore dives down here when the surf is 2-4 ft, and it wasn't fun at all. The info I posted here is taken from a book, BEACH DIVING AND SNORKELING LOCATIONS, HOLLYWOOD TO JUPITER. Most dive shops around here carry it. If you want to go further north, there is the Breakers and Phil Foster Park, and some others. PF Park is an intracoastal site, so you don't have the surf to worry about, but you have to dive it at high tide.

So Steve, how was your trip?

:popcorn:
Chug
Think he will get the email?

That time of year is not famous for calm, flat seas, so be aware you may get blown out - its important if you are diving offshore w/ a charter; critical if you are shore diving - plus, if its been rough for a day, or 2 or a week before you arrive (a distinct possibility in Feb) even if you luck into calm seas, you may have a viz issue.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom