Ft. Hood, TX: nearby dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! Newbie diver here. I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent places for a newbie to dive near Ft. Hood, TX? Will be there for 2 weeks this month and was hoping to get some dives in on my weekend off. Any info will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Midwestdvr

Local lakes are marginal on vis but diveable. A small LDS located on Stillhouse supports some diving there. I occasionally do Belton where you are on your own. Lk Travis west of Austin is the local "diving mecca" with dedicated diving areas & lots of divers. My favorite is the San Marcos river south of Austin. Very shallow (I found a 17' hole 2 weeks ago) and covered with tubers on summer weekends but still diveable on weekdays.

Let me know when you are coming & we'll see what we can set up. My wife hates local lakes so it might be nice to have a buddy.

If you can get a half day off on friday and find a open slot, You could squeeze in a trip to the Flower Gardens. If the seas or currents are kicking up, it can be rather serious diving, but you'll see more there than in Cozumel.

Link: http://www.gulf-diving.com/

Actually, I did think about the flower gardens but I've heard that it's more suitable for the more experienced diver. I'm fairly new here, just a few post cert dives. Is it doable? TIA.

Windy Point at Lake Travis, and Soldiers Bluff at Lake Whitney, when the visibility was up (20' was considered a good day).

Drifting the San Marcos River is great fun, with great visibility... and you never know what you'll find (mostly snorkel gear) on the bottom. We used to put in at the old mill (just below Aquarena Springs) and take out at the spillway a mile or so (?) downstream.

If you've never dived in a current, be prepared for quite a ride!

midwestdvr once bubbled...
Actually, I did think about the flower gardens but I've heard that it's more suitable for the more experienced diver. I'm fairly new here, just a few post cert dives. Is it doable? TIA.

But I've seen new divers who have done just fine. All diving is below 60 fsw. Generally plan on 70 to 90 ft. Surface and midwater currents can be real tough (you can't overcome by finning - must use ropes) but bottom is usually mild to managable. They can't dive in seas over 5 ft - problem reboarding. There is no handholding. Divers are on their own in the water - boat DMs do not accompany divers.

If you are unsure, probably best to wait. Especially if you are doing it without an established buddy.

It's probably best for me to postpone the flower gardens at least til next year. I'm almost sure I'll wind up in Ft. Hood again next summer. Will try to gain more experience. Planning on spending 3 weeks in the Philippines this winter and probably Coz next spring.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom