Frusterations with camera/card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDiva_Ashley

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from Bonaire where I had some problems for the first time with my u/w digital camera. I had taken pictures the first two days which I viewed on my palm pilot at the end of day 2. I saw that many of the pictures were all garbled up and the camera was apparently not writing the pictures to the card correctly. It was a brand new Kodak sd card, so I thought it might be the card. I put a San Disk card back in the camera and tried again. The problem got a bit better as not as many pictures were effected by the problem, but I was still losing lots of shots due to this "garbling".
I didn't want to post them all here, so here is a link to some of the garbled pictures. Has anyone seen this happen before? Does anyone know what may have caused it?

anp05/Junk - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They were taken with a Sealife Reefmaster digital camera. I had moisture munchers in the housing, so I would hope the moisture wasn't affecting the card, but I suppose anything is possible. I am so frusterated because some of my favorite critters' shots were ruined by this and I don't even know why it did it. It has never done this before.

Another thing to note- the thumbnails for these pictures when I upload them do not look garbled at all- they look like the picture was supposed to look. But when you open it with any program (or on my palm pilot), the main pictures are messed up.

I'll attach just a couple- there are more at the link. Most of the files are just over 500 kb so I can't attach them.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0218.JPG
    IMAG0218.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0216.JPG
    IMAG0216.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 56
looks like maybe if you are using a strobe it did not sync properely with the shutter .I would say that is the problemif this was film.Being digital its the on ly guess I can come up with.Does the problem happen if you take images above water without a strobe?

I did not test above water without a strobe, but the picture on the website of the cruise ship coming into port was taken above water with the strobe and it turned out a pinkish shade for some reason. Others taken above water with the strobe of the shoreline and a wind surfer came out fine.
I also took some topside pictures with a totally different camera, a Kodak Z710 and had a few "misfires" where the pictures taken were completely black and some said they were corrupt. This was with a different camera and memory card, but none of the shots turned out garbled like the underwater ones.
This was my first trip with a strobe attached to my underwater camera so that could be the problem, but how would I correct it? Why do the thumbnails look alright but when I open the pictures, they're messed up? I am stumped. :confused:

the images that appear to be half exposed are most definitely a syn issue with the strobe..,Look for switch or adjustment of some type on/in strobe to correct.Check your shutter speed and make sure not too fast,not sure if that camera has that capability.Appears to be a preflash issue of some sort..
The pink images may have something to do with your white balance,see if there is a control on the camera menu to set it to automatic..

Is the camera still doing this topside?

What happens if you use the camera (not the computer) to reformat the card?

You seem to have multiple problems, possibly trying to correct one you have created the others.
1. The pink pictures look like the white balance is set to underwater. Check and test above the water to see if this is Ok.
2. Some pictures seem to have a sync issue with the flash, the picture is not jumbled it is just the exposure that seems wrong on part of the picture. This might be a problem with preflash, trying to sync to fast, anyway something to look at.
3. Some pictures look like they have been jumbled up as they have been saved. I don't know what could do this. Some guesses on my part.
It might be that the batteries are low and you are having some problem saving the data. Try new batteries
It could be an issue with the format of the card(s), format the card in the camera and test again.
It could be a problem retrieving the data from the card. Use a card reader and upload to a different computer.

Looking at your photobucket site this is not your first time with this camera so try and look at what has changed?
This is your first trip with a strobe, have you tested before or since?
Is this a Sealife digital strobe?
What else is different?

I think you are going to have to eliminate the diffrences one by one to isolate your problems.

It looks as though the camera was writing to the card wrong. When I tried to open the images in PhotoShop a warning came up that the files were corrupt or incomplete. The only times I have seen images that looked like these were when I tried to recover images from an erased and overwritten disk. These images are clearly being saved out of order within the image file. Some color channels also appear dropped on some images (eg: the pink cruise ship).

Had you used your Palm device to view images previously? Did you save images to your Palm, then store and/or erase them with the Palm from the Scandisk chip?

Were you able to view your images with your camera's LCD? With another camera's LCD?

How do you have your camera set to save images as? Sometimes a little thumbnail file will be saved at the same time the main image is saved. That could explain why the thumbs come out ok.

Try formatting your Scandisk chips with the camera. Don't simply erase from the Palm, reformat with the camera.

Try shooting images using the disks topside, without the strobe; then with the strobe. Try them in a different camera.

View your images with the camera; the Palm Pilot; another computer; and with another camera.

It might just be a reformatting issue; a Palm vs.computer issue; or a camera issue.

Contact Scandisk and your camera's manufacturer directly about the problem.

Check that the Card storage size does not exceed the cameras maximum addressable size. That could cause this type of error.

Back
Top Bottom