Frothy White Phlegm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have in the last week returned from a Red sea holiday (diving every other day during the 2 week stay). I had no colds,flu virus's etc during the stay or for several months before going. I was diving on air and always get a dry mouth, but on surfacing after every dive I would cough up huge amounts of frothy white phlegm. This would clear after I had coughed it all up, and then no problem until surfacing from the next dive for the same thing to happen. -quite alarming.
I used the same dive operator throughout so started to wonder if a contamination issue was responsible.(I do not get asthma and it has never happened before) . Very strange-has anyone got any thoughts/experience of this.
Thanks

Did anyone else on the boat experience anything similar?

You might give DAN a call.

Last time it happened to me was when I mistook baking powder for some illegal substance:no .

j/k :)

Seriously, get checked out!

I do that as well. I think it's more sinus drainage than anything. I've had no issues and my dive profile has always been safe. (Minus one time I went OOG. :|) It doesn't seem to be an issue with depth either. My last dive could be 15 - 20 feet and it still does it. Not sure but, no ill effect other than the frothy stuff. One spit and it's gone.

Michael

I would think it is something intrinsic in your chest/sinuses/respiratory tract, and not due to the air or equipment.

CrawfishDiver:
I would be concerned about the air quality... call dan

Air quality, I don't think that's it, for myself at least. Different tanks, different air source, and different ops. *shrugs*

Michael

Hi HS,

Coughing up amounts of frothy white phlegm is very uniklely to be the sole sign of bad tank air.

Cylinder air can be contaminated by a variety pollutants (e.g., CO, petroleum products, particulate matter), and complaints will be a function of the contaminating agent. Signs and symptoms can include nausea and vomiting, headache, cough, shortness of breath, changes in heart/pulse rate, dizziness, lethargy, changes in consciousness or mentation, muscle twitching, or changes in color of the lips or nail beds.

Was there anything unusual about the taste, odor or "feel" of the air? Did other divers using cylinders from the same fill station also experience illness during or after the dive? If not, then bad air as an explanation becomes even less probable.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom