front zip wetsuits, water entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielC6

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks. I just tried out a new Pinnacle Polar semi-dry wetsuit.

Aside from being extremely difficult (and painful on my ears) to get the hood off, I also had a lot of water enter through the zippers and literally slosh around my upper chest, shoulders, and arms during the dive. My buddies could hear it when I shook my arms on the surface after the dive. My theory about this water entry is that the suit isn't tight against my body because the zippers rigidity prevents it across my chest and arms. On the surface, there's a lot of air space around my armpits and upper arms.

I was wondering if this is a common issue with front-zips. I'd read a lot of good stuff about front-zips being better at sealing out water and easier to put on, but so far my one experience hasn't been quite so good. I'd like to get the Pinnacle Kodiak without the attached hood, but it's also a front-zip. Am I likely to have the same problem? I'm straight in the middle of the sizing chart for an M, except on the chest dimension where I'm on the smaller end. Could this also be a factor?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom