From Guam to Saipan, Palau, Philipines or???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frontpointer1000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What’s up guys? I’m here in Guam for the next two months doing contract work. I’ve been doing a lot of diving but will have some time off intermittently over the next couple of months so I’d like to jump to a few other places to do some diving. I would love to hit Palau, but the flights from here and the timing of my time off don’t coordinate very well, so unlikely to get to make that happen. Do you have any other recommendations for nearby?

Thanks in advance!

It all comes downs to flights and Covid rules I guess. Not sure when flights are running these days and for that matter is what is open in the area. Pre-pandemic, Yap and Truk (Chuuk ) would have been the first two things that came to mind an addition to Palau. You would have to research whether they are open or not now.

In theory Palau used to be considered far enough south (close to the equator ) to have a reduced risk of Typhoons. Directionally that is still true but they have had some Typhoons in recent years. Any of the places mentioned will probably have equal or greater Typhoon risk ( including Guam where i have probably spent 4 weeks total and have seen 1 minor hit and 3 near misses spread out between each of the 4 seasons (winter/spring ..) I think )

I think June might be the start of the monsoon season in Palau but rain isn’t necessarily bad for scuba diving. June not diving peak season but beats Guam.

Bummer that you can't make the Palau flights work. I just spent 9 days diving there and it was great.

The Philippines are probably a good option if the timing of the ROR-MNL flights work. United just started flying that route again at the start of April and I don't think they fly every day of the week.

- brett

What’s up guys? I’m here in Guam for the next two months doing contract work. I’ve been doing a lot of diving but will have some time off intermittently over the next couple of months so I’d like to jump to a few other places to do some diving. I would love to hit Palau, but the flights from here and the timing of my time off don’t coordinate very well, so unlikely to get to make that happen. Do you have any other recommendations for nearby?

Thanks in advance!
PAL/UA has direct flight from Guam to Manila. Anilao(well known for macro) is about 3hrs away by car.
UA has flight to Saipan.
UA has expensive flight to Micronesia

As @beldridg indicated, there is plenty of good diving in the Philippines , but I am not certain how convenient the diving it is to Manila if you are trying to do a short trip from Guam. I think I had a 3-4 hour drive , an overnight hotel stay and a boat to get Puerto Galera 15 years ago when I flew into Manila on United in the afternoon/evening. Obviously there is a Philippines regional board so they would have better info

As @beldridg indicated, there is plenty of good diving in the Philippines , but I am not certain how convenient the diving it is to Manila if you are trying to do a short trip from Guam. I think I had a 3-4 hour drive , an overnight hotel stay and a boat to get Puerto Galera 15 years ago when I flew into Manila on United in the afternoon/evening. Obviously there is a Philippines regional board so they would have better info
PAL has daily flight from Guam to Manila. Guam is 2 hrs ahead.
Outbound PR111 ETD 06:00, ETA 08:00
Inbound PR110 ETD 22:00, ETA 04:00

Anilao or PG(need to take a ferry as already mentioned). If time is short then Anilao is better and easier to get to the airport.
Subic Bay is another option. If the OP is looking for something else to do or trying various restaurants then Subic beats Anilao hands down.

Back
Top Bottom