Frogfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Style

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone seen any frogfish (anglerfish) on their dives recently? My son suddenly, don't ask me why, became+ interested in these fish...

It would be cool to get some pictures of them...I'm starting to take my kids out snorkeling...shouldn't be long before they decide they want to dive (9/12yo's).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Frogfish are pretty weird. I see them fairly often around south Maui. Here's a video clip I shot last year of one swiming along...a sight you don't normally get to witness! Look for the little puffs of sand as he jets along.

Thats a nice video...

man...those are weird looking...I think he saw some pics online...he must have been looking at the colorful ones...

I just called my son over to watch your video...I'm not so sure he likes them anymore...funny....

Aloha I'm new-b,

My friends and I found a nice baby yellow frog fish last Sunday at Airport beach on Maui. We cruised the outer reef's for an hour and as we were coming in the little bugger was in about 15' right were they usually have intro/cert classes.

We laughed about it because we go all the way out to the middle of nowhere for 40-50min just to get skunked on the dog and pony show and then there in the shallows during a safety stop with snorkelers above there it was.....

Attachments

• frog fish 087 copy copy.jpg
    frog fish 087 copy copy.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 42
Here is a shot of one we see regularly at the Haleiwa Trench.
If I remember it was about 50~60 ft mark on the left end of the trench.

Haleiwa%20Trench%20007.jpg

By seeing it regularly I mean we dove there 3 times saw it 3 times,same general area.
Dives were about a week apart.

Good luck with the kids:D

NH

That is really cool...about how big was it?

no frogfish, but we saw a few others...conger eel...a bunch of turtles, 1 missing a front right flipper...

maybe next time...

That is really cool...about how big was it?

no frogfish, but we saw a few others...conger eel...a bunch of turtles, 1 missing a front right flipper...

maybe next time...

It was only about 4 inches long. Very photogenic as well. I stayed about 4' away though. Didn't want to get to close and scare it away. Its nice to se them.

Cool on the Conger eel, we have only seen two since we've been here (about 2 years) and we saw both of them within the last month.

Hope you get to see one (frogfish) in person, much better than a photo.

NH

Back
Top Bottom