Frogfish, Turtles and Sharks; Oh My!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My first Mala Wharf dive from shore was really, really fun. Tuesday afternoon the vis was so good I started taking pictures before we got past the still standing structure. Almost immediately we came upon a large frogfish, not to be confused with the similar second frogfish.

P10102171.jpg

P1010222.jpg

P10102251.jpg

P1010227.jpg

Jerry had camcorder woes, and did not get any video, which Dawn said was why we had such a good dive!

P10102352.jpg

P1010240.jpg

P10102442.jpg

P10102452.jpg

Above is as graphically as I will ever point out the identifying feature of a male green sea turtle. Below is one of the friendliest young turtles I've encountered and one of the most unique and best frogfish camouflage designs ever!

P10102581.jpg

P1010265.jpg

4 frogfish and 4 turtles, but only 3 sharks. I am sure there were more frogfish and turtles, but we were content with the ones we did see. I'm fairly sure there were only 3 sharks :)

Here is a link to all the decent photo's from that dive. Not sure I can stay out of the water today; the strobe battery is on the charger, I may be addicted! :rofl3:

looks like it was a nice day at Mala :)

Thanks for sharing your pics from the day.

Aloha, Tim

NICE!

though.... your frogfish look like our angler fish as our frogfish looks different

To be more precise, these pictures are of Comerson's Frogfish, also know as Commerson's Anglerfish.

My favorite fish ID site for Hawaii, Keoki and Yuko Stender's Marinelifephotos shows many Hawaii Frogfishes.
marinelifephotography:
Family Antennariidae

Frogfishes​

Frogfishes are also known as Anglerfishes since they use a modified dorsal spine (illicium) having a tiny flap of skin at its tip as a lure to attract prey. Frogfish bodies resemble flabby weed-encrusted masses or sponges and effectively blend into their surroundings. They are typically found upon rocky outcrops or large rocks at any depth, and most of the Hawaiian species are small and rarely seen. Commerson's Frogfish is the most likely species divers will encounter.

Largest and most common species in Hawaii, from shallow water to at least 100 feet. Usually found near vertical features where small fishes congregate. Attains 14 inches; also known as Giant Frogfish. Highly variable in coloration, light brown is most common, juveniles are yellow. Apparently changes locations over time rather than staying put. Capable of swallowing fish almost as long as itself. Membrane behind second dorsal spine is thin. Dorsal rays 13, anal rays 8, pectoral rays 11 (one more than A. pictus). Indo-Pacific, Hawaii, and the Tropical Eastern Pacific.

Looking at the Australian Museum Fish Site I see what you mean. Comparing to Keoki's site, Hawaii has Painted Frogfish (not common and hard to tell from Commerson's) and the Sargassumfish, while Australia has Painted Anglerfish and Sargassum Anglerfish!

Your Frogfish are pretty neat looking; and they croak??

Back
Top Bottom