Frio River diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been diving in the Frio River? I have an upcoming family vacation planned and I would love to take my gear for a couple of quick dives.

I know it's not very deep but has anyone been diving there?

I haven't, but I would like to sometime.

joens put up a post on the Frio and Nueces almost a year ago. I've only seen parts of the Frio when visiting mi tíos, and could step across the parts I've seen at the times I was there. Supposed to be some holes according to joens, his post follows.

joens:
I have relatives in uvalde and go there often the best dive site in the area is nueces lake in camp wood where there is a dam on the nueces river. the last time I was there 2 weeks ago there was an algae bloom and vis was 6-8 feet it is usually 20-30 max depth mayby 20 but large area maybe 150 yards across and 1/3 -1/2 mile long. as far as the rest of the river and the frio river there are holes from time to time that you can dive in but I havent found any that are very big. dont need those double 120s.
San antonio is the best bet for air .I usually just bring mine with me.and fill up when I go home.

baliff put up a post with several sites, but only a line about the Frio...

bailiff:
I live in Houston...but we dive in every mudhole in South Texas we can find.

288 south has a couple...twin lakes is problaly the best....still only has about 8-10 ft. visibility....

Huntsville....the quarry....or something like that....

Lake Travis...windy point and if you haven't gave Mansfield Dam a try lately......go back...it's a lot better now....

Freeport.....some nice rig dives....

South Padre....a couple of dive shops that I will actually try out later this month...I'll keep yall posted on that one....

and Frio River....Clear river drift dive....nice if the river is up...

Bailiff

Nueces looks like the best bet, but never been there. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom