Friday's McKenzie Bight photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I like the stitched pictures, and the "over and under" shots!

Doesn't look like a whole lot of life in that site.

But I wish I lived somewhere where one could describe 40 to 50 feet of viz as "not as good as expected" :)

Yeah, there's not much obvious invertebrate life on the walls at all. I often think it must be what diving in a lake must be like. You'd think that that there would at least be a few anemones, but I find that anemones are rare in the Southern part of the Inlet. Saanich inlet is great though for dramatic topography, usually good visibility and cloud sponges (if you have a boat).

Good to see I am not the only one who wears their gloves "white side out". Nice pix...

Good to see I am not the only one who wears their gloves "white side out". Nice pix...

I later wondered why he did that, but then I realized that the outside must be "smoother" and makes a better sealing surface on the drysuit cuff rings. The simplicity of his dry glove system almost makes me want to switch. Almost. Of course if I was going back to Halifax in the winter again (0-degree water), I would seriously think about it.

I've tried the gloves both ways and haven't had one leak yet, at least not without a hole in it, their not that durable. Love the panorama shots Mark, one day I'll convince you to journey over to Tuwanek for excellent vis with more life.

I later wondered why he did that, but then I realized that the outside must be "smoother" and makes a better sealing surface on the drysuit cuff rings.

Your right swankenstein the black side does stick better. Also the white gloves make for easily seen hand signals in low vis.
I have the "PVC dry glove system"...cost me $4.00 and hasn't failed yet. As for leaks, I picked up a pair of 2mm neoprene gloves to wear underneath...if I get a hole in a glove I usually don't know it until I pull them off at the surface.

Can you explain the 'pvc dry glove system'?

Bill.

Your right swankenstein the black side does stick better. Also the white gloves make for easily seen hand signals in low vis.
I have the "PVC dry glove system"...cost me $4.00 and hasn't failed yet. As for leaks, I picked up a pair of 2mm neoprene gloves to wear underneath...if I get a hole in a glove I usually don't know it until I pull them off at the surface.

My dive buddy used the inside out gloves for a bit... Usually when he accidentally grabbed two marigolds of the same hand! Anyway, we had an interesting experience at Orlebar point while he was wearing the white side out.

We were on our 60' deco stop when a ling darted up and bit his hand. He described it feeling like a phone book being smashed down on his hand. It shook once and then took off. So for the next 20 mins of deco he is sitting there with a sore hand, bleeding out of the punctures in the now flooded glove. He was a little concerned, but what can you do? Anyway when we hit the surface, there were some decent knicks in his knuckles, but nothing too terrible.

The best we can figure is that the white glove against his black suit looked like something tasty and the fish never associated it with the rest of him.

Can you explain the 'pvc dry glove system'?

Bill.

I will take a few pictures when I get a chance and post them...probably easier then trying to explain...I have a bit of French blood so explaining things takes a lot of hand gestures.:wink:

O

P.S. I have had octopus take a liking to the white side, I think its the feel of them.

Back
Top Bottom