fresh water lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electrix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any connection with atmospheric pressure and viz and what about a lake "turning over" I have heard this for years what is it or what causes it or does it even exist?

Is there any connection with atmospheric pressure and viz and what about a lake "turning over" I have heard this for years what is it or what causes it or does it even exist?

Hi electrix,

Well, atmosphereic pressure is related to weather.

Winds tend to blow from higher pressure areas into lower pressure ones. This is because the air in highs is more dense than in lows. As air moves into lower pressure areas the upward flow can cause clouds and precipitation to form. Precipitation often results lowered vis (run off and the like), especially in freshwater lakes.

As for lakes "turning over," see this piece --> Lake Turnover. Obviously vis can be seasonally affected by such a phenomenon.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I was thinking more of changes in pressure causing viz to change, it just seems viz is very strange when you think it will be great its not and when you least expect it, its great.

Well, in lake Ontario the turn-over where we dive creates excellent visibility at depth in the fall / winter.

Atmospheric pressure changes locally would do nothing to the lake directly as per my understanding. They can create rain which of course will ruin the vis close to shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom