French Polynesia & Rarotonga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KYDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Am cruising in FP in May. Yea!

I've contacted several dive ops and would welcome any review of their operations, safety equipment, boats, and rental gear from those who have been there and done that.

I'm new to the sport--got certified specifically because of this trip. Please help me avoid making stupid/expensive/dangerous type mistakes in planning my trip.

I've contacted Dive Tahiti Blue and Topdive in FP. I've talked with Cook Island Divers on Rarotonga.

Who can share info on these, or suggest other ops?

Dan

Dan ..... What Islands or atolls will you see when you say French Polynesia (that refers to the island chain in general)....

Tell the dive companies that you’re brand new to diving and they should take care of you. Once you get there they should go over your diving experience anyhow so they can plan dives according to your abilities. Personally I would also try to get a few dives under my belt prior to your trip so you can enjoy the scenery more and not waste time getting comfortable (buoyancy issues solved, developing your skills) and to develop a general comfort level in the ocean.

I had several conversations with the Dive companies we choose to ensure that my wife (a diver of a year with only 20 dives between OW and AOW accomplished) would be comfortable (currents, types of diving, sea life etc) ...I was extremely pleased with the attention she received from the DM (dive master)..... Not only were they were great but they truly enhanced her diving abilities and made her a better diver!!!

On the same note however we did dive with a couple from the states that were both DM and they had a several issues with a different dive center. My wife also had a minor problem with a bad tank valve (which I found out about at the end of the dive)..... So its essential that you get familiar with the gear.....

These were all somewhat common problems and not big deals ...as long as you know what to do.

If you've got your own gear I would bring it ..... you're familiar with its condition, how it works, and can tell if something’s not right. If you don’t have gear the next best thing would be to rent gear from the shop you certified with maybe use it a couple time prior to your trip. This way you know its condition (the shop will/ should bench test it prior to your trip) so it should be in good working order.

If you like PM me and I can fill you in on details.....

>What Islands or atolls will you see…

We will be visiting Tahiti, Huahine, Raiatea, Moorea, Bora Bora in FP and Rarotonga, Cook Islands.

>Tell the dive companies that you’re brand new to diving…

Have done so with the folks I’ve contacted so far. They all seem to be on top of serving folks like us. I suspect they have dealt with others in my situation before.

>…I would also try to get a few dives under my belt …

Not much of an option. The water is COLD here in KY this time of year. We will be spending some additional time in the pool, but I realize that’s not like “real” diving. We booked our trip last fall before the dollar got “Bush-whacked” and realized, that even as much as we like to snorkel the trip to the Pacific would be much better with tanks on our backs. We are still in the toe of the learning curve, and realize that more experience before this trip would have been better. The trip will still be highly memorable.

The contacts mentioned in my first post seem to be attentive to our needs, and are addressed most of the issues you brought up.

>So its essential that you get familiar with the gear.....

At this point we are feeling pretty confident, but, of course, we don’t know what we don’t know. We’ll be careful.

>If you like PM me and I can fill you in on details.....

Thanks for the offer. I’m new to the list, and don’t know the details of doing that. I’m compu-literate, but am learning the ropes here. I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Can't help you with the other islands. We did Bora Bora, Manihi and Tikehau. i did not bring geard other than fins, mask, snorkle, boots and camera. The price for the dive included equipment. The equipment was quite good. Better than the rentals at my LDS. I dove with Blue Nui in all three locations. They were very friendly, helpful and anxious to see that I had a good dive. On one dive in Bora Bora I was the only one on the boat! I was asked if I wanted to videotape it. You betcha! Unlike a lot of those videos with a slew of divers I was the star! What a memory to keep.
The vis was incredible. Saw lots of sharks;reef, black tip, white tip, grey and lemon. I was able to pet a Napoleon! Lionfish, jacks, moray eels and tons of other colorful fish. Watched a school of Barracuda sail past ( the DM said they were a cousin but they looked like the real thing to me). I had two tuna rocket past me like I was standing still. I didn't think anything could move so fast under water. That was Bora Bora. Manihi and Tikehau were better! Out of all the pictures I took the one I treasure the most are the one lookig away from the wall into the blue nui (big blue). While I took a lot of pics of walls and fish that view of nothing but the incredible blue going on forever has stuck with me.
If you haven't bought a camera yet. Get busy. Buy the best one you can afford. I bought a closeout sea and sea. Go get in a pool and shoot a roll prior to going.

You'll have a blast. Tahiti is great.

Dreamin': Where did you stay in Bora Bora and Manihi?

I'm assuming the Pearl Beach Resorts?

I've read some nightmare stories about the Eden Beach in Bora Bora on this site, but someone we know is saying that it is OK.

We're planning a trip to Bora Bora, Moorea, Manihi, Fakarava, Rurutu, and Nuka Hiva in September. Can't wait! A lot of the postings on this site has help to figure out which islands to visit.

KYDan: who did you book your trip with? How long will you be there?

We booked a trip on Princess Cruise Line. Then realizing that this would be one of the best diving locations we'll likely ever vist, we decided to get certified. Yes, it would have been better to have more diving experience before our trip. We'll have to muddle through improving our skills in Paradise.

I've been contacting dive operators via Internet and from info gleaned from the Scuba Board.

We will be amongst the islands for 2 weeks. Back in October when we booked the trip the dollar was particularly strong and prices were favorable. After dreaming of visiting the S. Pacific for years we made the "plongee" and are going for it.

We seem to be meeting a nice bunch of folks in the diving community as a bonus, too!

KYDan

If I were you I might want to contact Scuba Jim about Eden Beach ...... He stayed there .......

There is only one resort on Manihi and only one restaurant with that resort...... other than that there may be a Pension on the atoll. I will say Manihi was our favorite while we were there.....little to do but dive and relax :wink:

Both are good things to do in Paradise. I'm looking forward to that...and the buffetts.

They say that they load you on the cruise ship as passengers...but offload you as cargo!

KYDan

Ratherbe. We stayed at the pearl beach at all three locations. We did not stay at the Eden but the main one. You might check out another board http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/ It's all about Frech Polynesia. We were very happy at all three locations. We stayed in beach bungalows in Bora Bora and Tikehau. In Manihi we did an overwater. Of the three Bora Bora had the best scenery. Manihi was overall the most fun. Tikehau was was splendid in its isolation. The stars at night were something to behold. We were there during a moonless period. The diving was best at Tikehau with some up very close and personal shark sightings. The shark hole is aptly named. Two tanks and 20+ minute rides to the dive sights. Manihi was a close second. More fish volume and the easiest dives. Five minute boat rides. One tank. Want to do more go back and get another tank and a new buddy. Very relaxed.

If you stay at the pearl beach Bora Bora they have this chocolate cake dessert that is worth the price of going by itself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom