French Poly honeymoon help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. We are going to splurge for our honeymoon, as if things go accordingly, plan on having kids (expect future SB thread on how little diving I can expect to do after we spawn).

Have 6 nights on Rangiroa at the Kia Ora, and then 6 nights at the Four Seasons Bora Bora. I had enough miles to get upgraded flights for free, so blew the savings on hotel. For dive ops, I'm looking at Six Passengers for Rangiroa, seems the most English friendly shop. For Bora Bora, still checking, only know to avoid TopDive. I'll probably do at least one day of diving in Bora Bora because I'm there w gear and can make sure I can leave w no regrets. Any suggestions?

Eleuthera Bora Diving Centre - if your hotel won't (4 seasons will def try and book you with Top Dive unless you really specify) take a wander down to Viapete around 8.30 - 10.30 and see Robyn the blonde haired lady who handles the cruise shippers day trips and get her to call them. She has their number but I believe details on their website are still correct.

Having been to all those places many years ago, I suggest taking a day just to snorkel and do other excursions. It's nice to be a bit more relaxed and enjoy the scenery and place. I also highly recommend overwater bungalows if that isn't already in the plan. There are many benefits particularly at Kia Ora: uninterrrupted sunset view, the whole wall rolls open. Not having to walk out through the coral to go swimming, having your drink on the deck and snorkeling around and then back to the deck for a drink. We saw lots of good stuff while snorkeling including eagle rays swimming under your room, a big moray in one of the coral heads by the next room. The garden bungalows are considerably warmer with bugs around than the overwaters. We discovered an amaretto gecko after lying in the dark on the deck watching the stars. Noticed something on our glass and found it was a gecko lapping up our amaretto. We took a trip to the lost lagoon or something like that which was an all day fresh fish barbeque at the other end of the lagoon. After the barbeque, we did a shark feed where there were literally hundreds of sharks swimming all around. Everywhere you looked. Walking in knee deep water to the boat, they were swimming between us and the couple in front. Another day was snorkeling and eating fresh pineapple with fresh coconut on it. Memorable times there. I mention this because it is not about the diving as it is about the honeymoon.

About the honeymoon - buy your wife's pearls in Rangiroa - they're 1/4 of the price and the exact same pearls that appear in most hotels Bora Bora Pearl Parade/Exhibitions.

Make sure you don't try and purchase them if a cruise ship has wallowed into view - price goes up

The family who set up a small table of Pearls and Souveniers at Rangi airport when flights are scheduled have very fair prices and are way more deserving of my dollar than a chain hotel or French boutique jewellers.

I second Wingy's recommendation. We also bought pearls in Rangiroa, though at a local pearl farm while we there for about a week.

Just came back from four weeks in FP. It's expensive but absolutely worth it, one if not THE most beautiful place in the world!

Bora Bora is a can't miss as a location in FP, but not for diving (even though I saw plenty of mantas and eagle rays but so so visibility). Tikehau is interesting too: white tip, grey reef, a couple of silver tips and two mantas as well. Very good visibility between the change of the currents.
Rangiroa diving was very good (saw my first tiger, plenty of dolphins, schools of Heller's and chevron barracudas) but not as fantastic as others reported, a couple of dives were a bit underwhelming (outgoing current at sunset, kept hearing dolphins but they didn't show up and there wasn't as much sharks action as expected). Coral situation isn't great either but that was already known to me. Fakarava instead was incredible, crazy, stunning! Garuae pass in the north was already fantastic, with tons of white tips and grey reefs with some silver tips too (current at Ali Baba cave was almost up to Peleliu Express in my experience), but Tumakohua pass is what made me question if I had there the best dives of my life, even better than Sipadan and Palau: hundreds upon hundreds of sharks, excellent visibility, nice current to make the dive a little more challenging and good coral situation as well. I loved every second of those two dives and keep in mind I'm not even that interested in sharks (I prefer nudibranchs and macro usually, saw two beautiful Kunie's chromodoris in Garuae though).
I used Eleuthera in BB, Tikehau Plongee, Six Passengers, Dive spirit and Kaina plongee in Fakarava, they are all good.

Oh, about pearls, I got them in Rangiroa too and saved quite a lot compared to Bora Bora or Tahiti. :wink:

Special thanks to @Wingy :cheers:, he's the man who almost one year ago gave me on this board the clear indication on where to go, rating FP much better than NC/Vanuatu. After his post I changed my plans and damn it, this was the best travel of my life, no ****! Thanks buddy!

No worries mate, glad to have been of help - FP is really really special to me so reading your post made me smile. As much as I love Vanuatu for its well...weirdness..the Tuomotos are where it's at as far as diving and scenery goes. Sets a high bar doesn't it?

I sort of think I need to go back pretty soon - I lost the pearl I've had around my neck from rangi for years - and fakarava still eludes me - thanks mate you've convinced this girl to go back pronto :)

Holy hell, sorry @Wingy I thought you were a man... :p

Yes yes YES, go back and go to Fakarava and especially the Tumakohua pass! :bounce::callme:

Haha no worries - a couple of restaurants and hotels in FP insisted I had to be a MR...solo old lady wandering around without the mandatory husband :rofl3::rofl3:

......so many dive spots so little time..and cash..lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom