French exception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plongée tek Marseille. Not close, but closer than Antibes.

Nico is a cool guy, he often dives with people with very diverse backgrounds (including GUE, since you mentioned it)

Btw, what is your level?
I've heard of them, never been though, but I know the building. I think they were out diving one time I was wandering around buying gear.
Fundamentals rec pass, looking to upgrade when I get a good amount of time in doubles, maybe beginning of next year, and PADI AOW, deep and search and recovery.

Fundamentals rec pass, looking to upgrade when I get a good amount of time in doubles, maybe beginning of next year, and PADI AOW, deep and search and recovery.
And are you already in touch with GUE people in France? If you need some help, drop me a PM :)

Not having money as a motivation gives no incentive to try and bend the law.

There are other motivations than money. Friendship and laziness are also good motivators to bend the law. But that's true that they tent to bend the rules in the other directions: inventing rules where they are none. I've nothing against an instructor having stricter requirements than the minimum set by the rules. But then IMO you have to be clear that they are your requirements and they don't come out the rules.

I believe it is about to be changed to 16yo

Passed last November or so. IIRC, 16 you can go to 20m, 17 to 40m. Parents probably still need to agree.

Certified N1 divers can get access to a qualification that allows unsupervised diving to 12m.

Nothing prevent you to pass a PA20 when you are PE20. That's now especially meaningful for minors above 16.

Some commercial structures are completely organized with the PE/PA system and the N2/N3 are just bundles.

Several reasons :

According to French law, only adults can dive unsupervised (I believe it is about to be changed to 16yo).

Notwhistanding an anecdotal exception for diving in pools, N1 (more or less OW) divers are not trained to dive unsupervised, but to follow DM instructions.
Certified N1 divers can get access to a qualification that allows unsupervised diving to 12m.

Unsupervised diving really starts at N2 (more or less AOW), up to 20m. An N2 diver is not expected to be able to manage his own desaturation without a DM, so he can't dive unsupervised to 40m.

The N3 gets full access to unsupervised diving up to 60m.
Thanks.

Passed last November or so. IIRC, 16 you can go to 20m, 17 to 40m. Parents probably still need to agree.
Thx. Yes, parents will definitely need to agree.

Nothing prevent you to pass a PA20 when you are PE20. That's now especially meaningful for minors above 16.

Some commercial structures are completely organized with the PE/PA system and the N2/N3 are just bundles.
True. I think the PE/PA system is a great tool when it comes to divers from other certification agencies.

Have a look at this place: Eau Bleue Cavalaire | Diving Centre Not been for a few years, but they have access to some great wrecks & reefs.

Yes, like the Togo, which is absolutely SPECTACULAR.

But most (not all) are in the tech range.

P.S. By the way, the owner is familiar with GUE as well, he also did fundies (although he absolutely dives according to French standards).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom