freeflowing metal proton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black-Gorrilla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
just had my v16 proton metal checked out... took it in the pool to make sure all was well... and it freeflows like mad, when i move trough the water with the least bit of force it freeflows like mad....
what can i do so i dont have to take it back to the LDS??
thanks

Sounds like the lever height is a little too high.

It should only take your LDS a minute to reset it, since this can be done without disassembly.

Unless you have the proper size hex wrench to remove the side plug and the proper size nut driver to adjust the lever height, it would be easier to let your LDS do the work. It's not a really hard thing to do, but it takes some time and practice to get it right.

ok, thanks... im gonna take it in this week and have it fixed for me.
thanks.

It sounds like an adjustment issue, if the next adjustment does not fix it, drop me a note with your contact info and we can check it out.

Phil

Black-Gorrilla:
just had my v16 proton metal checked out... took it in the pool to make sure all was well... and it freeflows like mad, when i move trough the water with the least bit of force it freeflows like mad....
what can i do so i dont have to take it back to the LDS??
thanks

TN do you know what size nut driver i need? how does the lever adjustment work?
i've built more complex things than a reg. and im sure i can figuere it out... i'd just rather be told if possible.
is there any harm in adjusting it while presurized? wet?

Black-Gorrilla:
TN do you know what size nut driver i need? how does the lever adjustment work?
i've built more complex things than a reg. and im sure i can figuere it out... i'd just rather be told if possible.
is there any harm in adjusting it while presurized? wet?

It takes a 5.5 mm nut driver. And don't adjust the lever height under pressure - just do it in small (1/12th turn) increments - you have to reinstall the cap and repressurize it after each adjustment in order to test it. You test it using either an adapter with a magnahelic (removing the mouthpiece first) or a rough test is to slowly insert it into a bucket of water, with the mouthpiece pointing up and see how deep it goes before it freeflows (1.5 inches is good). But since you just had it serviced - I suggest you take it back and watch the tech adjust it, so you have a better idea of how it is done. It is somewhat of a "touchy-feely" process - and takes some patience/practice.

Actually, if it only free flows after you move it through the water... that might be right. If you slowly set it in the water - and it fills up with water and does not free flow... you really don't have a free flow. Regs have what's known as a venturi effect. If they start flowing... they should keep going.

Now to see if it's set right, you can use a magnihelix, but the odd you have one are probably a bit slim...so to expand on what TN Traveler shared, you turn on the air, empty all water from the second stage, and then slowly lower the purge side of the reg into water, holding the mouth piece up. It should "crack" and start leaking after you lower it about 1 inch. Depending on what you like, you can set that to less than that - or kick it up to 1.5 inches, or I like my octo at about 2 inches of water pressure so they are less likely to free flow. But it will be slightly harder to inhale.

If you do need to adjust... Here is the other thread where I explained the best way to do that: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1183

Or when all else fails... take it into a shop! Or send it in for servicing.

got it taken care of. quite simple.
it was flowing at just below surface... and now it's fine. figuere about 1.2-1.5 inches.
thanks Larry, and thanks TN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom