Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St
# of dives
200 - 499
So.................

Does anyone freedive?

No I don't mean now, brrrrr, I mean generally.

I asked at the LDS and the kid behind the counter (looking like a fish out of water BTW) had no clue but doubted it.

(As you can see from my profile) I'm in Kingston and have been lurking this board for about a week now. What an animated bunch of people! I wish I hadn't missed the get-together at Montana's, it sounded like a hoot.

I've been meaning to fit a little casual freediving into my busy summer schedule but would really rather take a buddy along. However the nearest place I can find (on the web, anyway) that even acknowledges freediving at all seems to be some outfit in Toronto whose club members seem to be aiming for records in static and dynamic apnea. I was looking for something a little more, well, fun, than just how long a person can hold their breath underwater, swimming or not.

Comments anyone?

I also would like to free dive. I know what you mean about not being much information in this area and there is alot of resistance in the diving world. Alot of opinions and not all good. I started to practice in the pool but found that with my PADI cert and trying to do, I found that I wanted to be a scuba diver first and then once I am certified I will try that again. Let me know how things go and maybe we can swap information. :)

Ok, I'll admit to being ignorant of the difference between freediving, and good old fashioned snorkling. But if you're not pushing the limits too hard, I can probably be convinced to at least give it a try...

Finding time and location is more likely to be a problem, but if you come up with something give me a contact and I'll see if I can't fit it in.

Jamie

In Ottawa one of the local shops offer training in it. Apparently it's very popular.

But that really doesn't help you folks out in the other corner the province.

I'll touch base with the guys tomorrow and see what they can suggest / offer. Who knows the instructor might be willing to travel to a nearer location for you.

First here's a couple of places on the web for you to check out :
Performance Freediving

Free Diving Canada

Apparently the instructor who teaches here in Ottawa has held clinics in the Toronto area in the past. If you want more info, drop a PM.

There are two sites promoting freediving in Toronto: www.freedivetoronto.com and www.enjoyfreediving.com

Both sites promote recreational freediving as well as competitive freediving.

EnjoyFreediving run certification classes and FreediveToronto is a club for Freediving.

So.................

Does anyone freedive?

No I don't mean now, brrrrr, I mean generally.

I asked at the LDS and the kid behind the counter (looking like a fish out of water BTW) had no clue but doubted it.

(As you can see from my profile) I'm in Kingston and have been lurking this board for about a week now. What an animated bunch of people! I wish I hadn't missed the get-together at Montana's, it sounded like a hoot.

I've been meaning to fit a little casual freediving into my busy summer schedule but would really rather take a buddy along. However the nearest place I can find (on the web, anyway) that even acknowledges freediving at all seems to be some outfit in Toronto whose club members seem to be aiming for records in static and dynamic apnea. I was looking for something a little more, well, fun, than just how long a person can hold their breath underwater, swimming or not.

Comments anyone?

check out iHold Breath ap for iphone, has timers, O2 and CO2 exercises, a log.... great for building up tolerances, and something productive while watching tv, or just relaxing
Has been a great tool for me, and I have added almost 3 min to my best times

Back
Top Bottom