Freediving with a history of Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guidines

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there Folks,

I had to give up Scuba due to a history of spontaneous pneumothorax. I had a single
episode in 2007, with no recurrence. Had pleurodesis/pleurectomy, lung stapled
to the pleura, etc.
After that I did a good couple of dives, without really knowing the risks involved.
Now I've decided to quit, at least until I have preventive surgery performed on my other lung.
(I know many would advice no to dive even with bilateral surgery, but that is not
the question right now).

I'm thinking of taking up freediving as an alternative to stay under water.
My breath holding sucks but I guess that can be improved with practice.

So, this one is for the dive doctors out there, can I freedive?

I don't care much about the sports/competition aspect of it. I actually
love being under water sorrounded by marine life. That's why I loved
Scuba so much, but that is not an option for me right now. What I'm saying is,
I don't really care about breaking depth records or anything like that.

I'm asking for an opinion, not a medical clearance through an internet board,
I fully understand the limitations of asking medical advice here, but I don't
know any doctors who understand about diving, much less about free diving.

Thanks!

Hi there Folks,

I had to give up Scuba due to a history of spontaneous pneumothorax. I had a single
episode in 2007, with no recurrence. Had pleurodesis/pleurectomy, lung stapled
to the pleura, etc.
After that I did a good couple of dives, without really knowing the risks involved.
Now I've decided to quit, at least until I have preventive surgery performed on my other lung.
(I know many would advice no to dive even with bilateral surgery, but that is not
the question right now).

I'm thinking of taking up freediving as an alternative to stay under water.
My breath holding sucks but I guess that can be improved with practice.

So, this one is for the dive doctors out there, can I freedive?

I don't care much about the sports/competition aspect of it. I actually
love being under water sorrounded by marine life. That's why I loved
Scuba so much, but that is not an option for me right now. What I'm saying is,
I don't really care about breaking depth records or anything like that.

I'm asking for an opinion, not a medical clearance through an internet board,
I fully understand the limitations of asking medical advice here, but I don't
know any doctors who understand about diving, much less about free diving.

Thanks!
I am NOT a doctor, but I would share this with you....In addition to scuba, I will freedive frequently, and have found when I hit depths of 90 feet on, I feel a brusing sensation in my chest/lungs afterwards.... My assumption...is that the air in the lungs has compressed so far that tension is being applied to some portion of the lung and chest cavity...a tension I don't like, and I have never had Pneumothorax.....If I had, I would definately NOT want any kind of stress on the chest cavity or lungs....I am wondering if the slight reduction in Lung volume you get between the surface and 20 feet might present no real stress, however, I would also think you would need to be careful not to "pack air" into your lungs prior to a drop, which is a normal tendancy of freedivers--to get a very full breath just before dropping....this would probably create it's own potential for damage in a person with this tendancy for rupture.

I would also think that if you got a rupture at 20 feet, the air could expand outside of the alveoli, and the problem would be similar to scuba. It is still compressed air that must expand, and it needs to stay where it belongs :)

If it were me, I would be enjoying mountain biking and snow skiing, and kayaking, and all the other outdoor and nature sports that would not create issues like having compressed air in your lungs at depth.

As TS&M noted in the related thread, the lethal mechanism of TP is the compression and strangulation of the heart chambers and major vessels to the heart by the ballooning lung cavity. A freediver's quantity of air is constant* so that the danger will be at the surface while he's breathing and adding to the quantity that is trapped. IMO, the risk assessment is the same as for any wilderness scenario: Balance the probabilities of having a rapid, life-threatening event against the timeliness of qualified first response and competent evacuation to definitive care. Outside of a well-planned, well-financed excursion, the odds are usually unacceptable.

* During a freedive, a bleb may pop from mechanical rub or transient pressure waves caused by normal gas volume changes, coughing or other Valsalva-like manuevers, or diaphragmatic spasms. Gas may change compartments but that by itself is unlikely to be the fatal event.

Thank you both for your answers,
I guess the answer is NO then...

This is devastating....my last hope to be under water : (

Thank you both for your answers,
I guess the answer is NO then...

This is devastating....my last hope to be under water : (
If you don't mind gallows humour.....

.... try to look at the positive side.....Dont dive... but talk about diving anyway here on SB, and you will be diving as much as many of the Dive Shop owners that post here :)

You will certainly be welcome to talk diving and watch u/w videos with us....

Although freediving is out, why not simple snorkeling? (staying on the surface)

Although freediving is out, why not simple snorkeling? (staying on the surface)

I agree! I've been snorkeling for more than 55 years. I've only been certified for 3-4 years. In 2010 I spent 2 weeks in Bonaire. I did a lot of diving (max to 90 feet) and a lot of snorkeling as well. There is a ton of stuff to look at in less than 20 feet. Some of the coolest stuff I saw was in the top 5-10 feet. I don't remember seeing much of anything snorkeling that I didn't also see diving though swimming down the valley between a double reef at 70 feet was cool. I did see some things shallow that I didn't see deep. And the freedom from all that weight (tank, lead, etc) makes shore entry so easy. Traveling without all the SCUBA specific equipment would be a lot easier and cheaper (no dive package to pay for) as well. Snorkeling in the Keys, off a boat, my Daughter and I had a 6' shark swim right beneath us in 8' of water. Don't always need to be deep. I also spent a month in Brattleboro, VT. and snorkeled the West River every day. Had a ball. There were times I was in the water for more than 3 hours - no worry about nitrogen loading.

I had a SPT 45 years ago and have been diving the past few years. Only recently (a post I read a few days ago) I found out that I may be at risk. Still evaluating that - may keep diving. I have figured out a plan that might be my best compromise. I may sell off my tanks, keep the BC, computer and 13 cf pony and snorkel with that configuration. I could stay on the surface and, if I find something worth taking a close look at, I could drop to 10-15 feet for a short while.

Some time ago I realized that at some point I wouldn't be strong enough to handle the weight of all the diving equipment. I decided that I would simply switch to snorkeling. No matter what I decide about continuing to dive or using the pony, I will continue to do a lot of snorkeling. That's how I started out and that's how I will end.

Last edited:
Cutlass' post above pretty much covered it, but for what it's worth: apnea divers typically experience what they call "contractions" during the later phase of a dive. These are the diaphragmatic spasms that cutlass mentioned. Contractions will put additional stress on your lungs. Also, there is a point (usually around 130-odd feet) during a deep apnea dive where the lungs are compressed beyond their residual volume. This could be particularly hazardous to you.

Thanks for the answers and thank you Kharon, I read your thread and I'm familiar with your case.
I guess I will be doing snorkelling in the future. It's just not the same at all, it's not even close.
Snorkeling is to diving what ping pong is to tennis. I guess free diving would be Paddle Tennis.

Snokeling is floating, and diving is flying. I'd much rather fly.

Snokeling is floating, and diving is flying. I'd much rather fly.

I look at it a little differently. Diving is like flying, yes - but snorkeling is like soaring.

I have a fear of heights. Every time I snorkel over the edge of a steep dropoff I get the feeling I'm going to fall LOL. Perhaps once you have done a lot of it you will see some of the advantages - simplicity of equipment, not having to make a detailed plan, being able to just be there, in the zone, without having to check depth, air left, non-deco time left, ascent rate, etc., being able to stay there as long as you want with no concern of nitrogen accumulation. It is different, but I think, not inferior.

Back
Top Bottom