Freedive Suits Used for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
I feel that the typical two-piece freedive suit with a smooth rubber interior, attached hood and NO zippers is the warmest configuration possible. Freedivers, who want to minimize the amount of neoprene they wear, seem to understand this and a very large majority avoid the typical scuba wetsuits.

I recently came across this unsolicited post on another forum:

I dont Freedive much anymore but I sure do A LOT of SCUBA.

I took the great advise of a friend here on the Board and bought a 7mil from MAKO. 3 YEARS later and at least 150 dives I'm still diving that suit.....although it's time for a replacement....the arms are taking a beating reaching into holes.

For years I was beating myself up getting into and out of O'neills. Not to mention how HARD it was to just dive and game in the thing! I love how easy it is to get into and out of my MAKO and just how comfortable it is to dive in ,not to mention how much WARMER it is. When you start hittin those Thermoclines at depth and staying there for a while you really start to fall in love with these suits.

Thanks MAKO!!

MJ.

I offer freedive suits for both Men AND Women in 3, 5 and 7 mm thicknesses. If you are thinking about a new suit, please take a look:

Wetsuits / Hoods / Gloves / Socks

thanks!

dano

M2YRC-2.jpg

I recently saw a post on another site with a photograph of a scuba diver who reported he was diving this winter in Jacksonville Florida. He reported bottom temperature of 63 degrees and a depth of 110 ft. I was curious if he was comfortable and if he was using either a 5 or 7 mm MAKO freedive suit. He was using ONLY a 3 mm 2-piece freedive suit! No zippers, attached hood, smooth rubber on the inside...

Below is his response:

Dano, I was actually wearing a 3mm I've had for a couple of years. And I was a little chilly at the beginning of dive, arms, legs and head. My core is fine. Once I am moving around I'm fine. Now had I'd been freediving it definitely would not have been enough suit, but for a scuba dive where I'm only in the water for 30 minutes at a time and staying active it's fine.

Its the only suit I've warn for the past 2 years. Below 60 degrees, I'll wear a scuba style, merino lined hooded vest underneath.

I need to get a 5mm, but a 7mm would probably be over kill for Jacksonville. The only time I really have issues being cold is out of the water this time of year. I dive regularly when air temps get down in the 40's and 50's; the wind really cuts through an open cell suit. I'm pretty rough on suits and have to patch a couple of holes , but all of the seams have held up really well.

Mako suits are definitely a good value and I'm definitely able to get away with a thinner suit than a scuba suit. I see a lot of people around this area diving a in thick suits from the scuba manufactures which look like poorly made surf wetsuits. I hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom