Freedive Spearfisherman films his own accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
This recent freedive accident was filmed by the victim using a head mounted GoPro camera. I thought that the video was so important that I posted it to the MAKO FB Page and would like to share it here as well.

The diver suffered a loss of Motor Control and almost surely a shallow water black out.

His face fell forward into the water, he lost consciousness and he was not breathing, even though he reached the surface.

The most important lesson from this video is regarding the value and necessity of an attentive and knowledgeable buddy who is VERY close by. He rolled the victim over and quite often when the unconscious diver's brain senses that the face is no longer submerged, breathing will often resume - often divers are blind and immobilized but can still recognize verbal commands, so the buddy telling him to breath is consistent with training.

If the diver is alone and remains face down at the surface, the outcome is likely to be death. The victim is often confused, does not remember what just happened and it is very typical for a diver to deny that they blacked out.

Please note that the audio is very valuable, however it is not safe for work.

I highly recommend that anyone who engages in freediving consider taking a formal freediving course where these safety issues and much more are taught.

Experienced and well trained divers may have other observations or criticisms regarding the incident itself, but it serves a very important lesson that a freediver can "feel fine", apparently look OK on the ascent, reach the surface, yet still black out on the surface.

Thank goodness this whole incident is nothing more than a good safety reminder.

Dive SAFE!

Dano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTr6OmynzSg&feature=youtu.be

A close friend died from SWB back in 1995. Thanks for posting this.

Or anyone diving where there are freedivers around.

Ben's video really can show & teach divers how quickly SWB hits, he didn't even know it. Some great lessons are slower structured breath up, exact weighting, and a really close buddy. Those guys are a great team !!

that's a good video for anybody that participate in underwater sports to watch...

i'm really impressed with the response time of his buddy... it really does emphasize safe buddy practices...

I like the "boat b!tch" hurling sharks at them post blackout ("fire in the hole").....:D

I think it also shows why its a bad idea to hyper ventilate before free diving (or even on SCUBA) with the CO2 loading that occurs when you do it.

I only hope myself and my perma-buddy have similar response times should something like happen like what occurred in the video.

Really shocked me how quick it happened and what the result could have been had it not been for an aware buddy.

Close call and great job by his buddy.

Is it just me or does anyone else find freediving a rig with a line and reel super risky. Semi overhead environment and increased potential for entanglement. I've never dived a rig, but watched a lot of videos of guys spearfishing on scuba and most are using a very easily ditchable riding rig and yet the rigs still claim a lot of lives from entanglement and head trauma from the structure. Line entanglement while freediving would be my biggest fear. Guys on scuba have the luxury of more time to free themselves, but while breath holding there's no room for error or bad luck. Lots of balls for these guys.

Would it be better to use a float with your line attached to it rather than this setup? More like bluewater spearfishing. Perhaps even tethered to the boat and shooting from outside the rig. Or maybe even a riding rig setup but holding a cave reel instead. Not sure if they exist, but maybe a reel with some drag to keep the line taught.

Back
Top Bottom